21 suburban 2wd rear end fluid capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tgoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 21 Suburban 2wd with the G86 rear end. I had a vibration and the dealership said there is a TSB that says to change the rear end fluid 3 times. So that is what I am doing as the dealership wanted over $1100. It has been difficult because I cannot find much information. The good part is that it does have a drain plug so I don’t have to pull the cover. My questions:

1. Do I need to add any additives with the fluid?

2. How much fluid do I need to put in after I drain it.

Thank you in advance.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you are absolutely correct, I had to Google search the manual since I can’t believe GM would not provide the information. There was another thread exactly like yours with no definitive answer. They did request the last 8 numbers of the VIN and hit up @915_Tahoe who is our resident GM parts expert. For the amount I would save what comes out and use an old measuring cup or an empty oil container to figure out how much. You would remove the plug and fill until it starts to seep out of the fill hole. Hope this helps, good luck and 915 Tahoe should see this since I tagged him, just provide the VIN.

OP
OP
T

Tgoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow you are absolutely correct, I had to Google search the manual since I can’t believe GM would not provide the information. There was another thread exactly like yours with no definitive answer. They did request the last 8 numbers of the VIN and hit up @915_Tahoe who is our resident GM parts expert. For the amount I would save what comes out and use an old measuring cup or an empty oil container to figure out how much. You would remove the plug and fill until it starts to seep out of the fill hole. Hope this helps, good luck and 915 Tahoe should see this since I tagged him, just provide the VIN.
Thank you and I couldn’t believe it when the owners manual didn’t give any information. I am not sure if this reply will include @915_Tahoe but my VIN is 1GNSCFKDXMR346696.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't give information because they don't WANT you to do it yourself. I have vehicles where they won't even tell you what fluid is spec'd so you won't try to search it down and change it yourself. It's probably stuff you can buy at Wal Mart too! All mfg.'s are just trying to make things more difficult to do yourself anymore. Any excuse to have to have you bring it in and hammer you.

OP
OP
T

Tgoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I should get an opinion if 75W-90 is ok because Chevy says 75W-80, which I can’t really find locally.

Thank you,

OP
OP
T

Tgoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They don't give information because they don't WANT you to do it yourself. I have vehicles where they won't even tell you what fluid is spec'd so you won't try to search it down and change it yourself. It's probably stuff you can buy at Wal Mart too! All mfg.'s are just trying to make things more difficult to do yourself anymore. Any excuse to have to have you bring it in and hammer you.
You are correct, they wanted over $1100 to do this service and by the technical bulletin it should take around 2-3 hours.

ninjaplumber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an axle recall on my 21 Escalade. The dealership got the part and told me to bring it in. I had to wait over a week because they did not know that the rear end needed (special) fluid only available from gm. Their service bulletin did not say that. Unfortunately it could not be shipped next day air. We had to wait till it got there by ground.

Attachments

• RCRIT-11V007-8063.pdf
    650.3 KB · Views: 6

ninjaplumber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just checked my invoice and they list the rear fluid as gm19418501. I checked and gm sites want about $33 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum