What are these rubber pieces on my 2007 tahoe rear diff fill plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpx2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a road hum when I drive my 2007 Tahoe (rear end is a G80) so I thought I'd check the read diff fluid. When I pulled the fill plug, I found about five 1/2" rubber pieces that are about as thick as pencil lead, stuck with some grease/sludge on the fill plug. They are definitely flexible. Any idea what these could be from? I know the truck had a pinion seal replaced at 78k miles, long before I bought it. It now has 173k on it. I didn't drop the cover yet, but plan to.
Any idea what these pieces might have come off of?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they used RTV on diff cover what squeezed to the inside may of broke loose.

OP
OP
D

dpx2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't see an o-ring on the fill plug, so maybe that's it. The pieces don't look like they were ever round tho, straight as an arrow.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on RTV. When it gets laid down in an even bead with a caulking gun like a shop uses and squeezed out between parts, it’s often in a perfect toothpick-like shape.

OP
OP
D

dpx2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess when I pull the cover I'll know if there's a gasket or rtv was used. I'm hoping gasket so I can re-use it. Otherwise I'll have to clean it up really good and use RTV to put it back on, which I've never done. And, it'll be in a cold garage - which I read you should only use RTV in temps 65 degrees or higher. That might be April before I can use it..lol..it's going to be only 25 degrees for a high for awhile here in Nebraska...