Rear Defroster tab again & again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Just ordered mine for the nnbs. Nothing has worked thus far and it sounds like this will.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for Frostfighter too. When I bought my '02, the owner felt he had to disclose that the rear defog didn't work. It turned out to be one of the least expensive repairs. Done in August, still working 5 months later.

I think soldering must be done to the metallic "bus" on the rear window. If that "bus" is damaged, I believe the only repair is the Frostfighter. After cleaning up an area of about 1" square, where there was visible damage and evidence of a previous repair attempt, I used lots of the Frostfighter on the base. I then added even more, but covering the base of the tab. This was to ensure good electrical conductivity between the tab and the wire.

Larry

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son of a ******! Just noticed one of my tabs pulled off today.

I have the extended warrantee but I guess I'll just order the kit and fix it myself so I don't have to deal with the dealer.

cav01c14

Reaction score
Call me old fashion but I just used a piece of scotch tape and taped it back into place.

Did that last year and it is still working this winter. So far so good.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me old fashion but I just used a piece of scotch tape and taped it back into place.

Did that last year and it is still working this winter. So far so good.
It must not be completely detached then. It's an electrical connection after all.

cav01c14

Reaction score
Oh it was completely detached. I noticed it a few days after I bought it. The dealership took care of it for me put in a new rear window. A week later I let my 3yr old climb around while we were waiting one day. She some how managed to snag the wire and pull it off the window.

All I did was hold it back in place where it was and tape scotch tape over it. It holds it to the window and keeps the connection because it is touching.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello the blu,

This isn’t what we like to hear from our customers! If this rear defrosting concern persists, send us a private message so we can provide an additional layer of assistance.

All the best,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

Took my truck to the dealer again for the rear defroster. I lost track of how many times they soldered it, & even replaced the glass. I have the extended warranty now.

The ***** wanted to charge me $100 !!!
I told him to go f_uck himself.

How about you fix it right, or redesign the glass, or do something so we don't have this discussion anymore. He told me I was right, but he couldn't help me. I told him to be a standup guy and fix it as a courtesy. So he threatened me not to honor my GMPP any more.

But hey, service departments don't realize good service brings back customers to buy new cars.

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean this POS...... Yeah....5364868084408a877f31298f22001806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an electrical epoxy found at the local parts store. Much cheaper at either $7 or $12 and it was a permanent fix on the 05 I owned previously.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used an electrical epoxy found at the local parts store. Much cheaper at either $7 or $12 and it was a permanent fix on the 05 I owned previously.
Are you talking about the Permatex? I tried that one and it was thin and runny. Didn't work on mine and I actually bought it twice , thinking there was something wrong with the first one because it didn't seem like an epoxy, more like a runny glue. The second time it lasted a few weeks then when I slammed the hatch it fell off. So it cost me about $20 for my frustration. I don't recommend that one, but if you know another I'd love to see it.

09117.jpg