Rear brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, changed the pads and rotors on my 04 tahoe about a year and a half ago. All 4 used R1 rotors drill and slotted. And some ceramic pads. Rears started making a metallic noise a month ago. Like the pads were metal vs metal. Wtf can't be that. Today it finally warmed up enough for me to pull it apart. Hollycow the inside pads were gone. Rotors ******. There's even like metallic filled in the drilled and slots on the outside pad. Both sides are in similar shape although the right is worse, I can hear the left although I didn't pull it apart yet.

I don't know what the deal is, I cleaned and lubed everything, made sure the pads freely in the caliper bracket. The previous pads and rotors were nice and evenly worn, 120k stock stuff. It doesn't seem like a caliper was sticking. Is there any think I could be missing. I don't want to do this again. I only put maybe 10k on the new brakes. Front look mint still. As I would expect.

I have something in mind but would like to hear what ya got!

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
wow usually the rear wear slowly. are you sure the fronts are doing anything? you'd think they'd be wearing faster than the rear, unless the rear is doing all your stopping!

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Hello, changed the pads and rotors on my 04 tahoe about a year and a half ago. All 4 used R1 rotors drill and slotted. And some ceramic pads. Rears started making a metallic noise a month ago. Like the pads were metal vs metal. Wtf can't be that. Today it finally warmed up enough for me to pull it apart. Hollycow the inside pads were gone. Rotors ******. There's even like metallic filled in the drilled and slots on the outside pad. Both sides are in similar shape although the right is worse, I can hear the left although I didn't pull it apart yet.

I don't know what the deal is, I cleaned and lubed everything, made sure the pads freely in the caliper bracket. The previous pads and rotors were nice and evenly worn, 120k stock stuff. It doesn't seem like a caliper was sticking. Is there any think I could be missing. I don't want to do this again. I only put maybe 10k on the new brakes. Front look mint still. As I would expect.

I have something in mind but would like to hear what ya got!

What did you lube the slide pins with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia