Rear A/C oddities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed my A/C tonight but noticed the rear A/C is still quirky. When set on "face", it blows out the headliner vents but isn't cool at all. It's not full-on heat, but not chilled. When I switched it to "feet", the air from the vents under the seats is cool. I didn't let it run long enough to see if it would get as cold as that coming out the dash vents, but it was definitely cooler than that coming out of the headliner vents.

The aluminum lines underneath the body at the right rear weren't cool at all. Shouldn't they be?

Also, the rear climate control panel seems to be doing strange things. When any button is pressed, it'll show the full display of temp, fan speed and vent selection. After about five seconds, the duct selection part goes away. It'll come back and respond accordingly if you press the button to cycle through the options. Pic with it missing:

IMG_0230.JPG

After about 10 seconds, the whole display goes blank except for this:

IMG_0229.JPG

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that there should be a rear orifice tube in one of those rear lines back there somewhere.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems wonky to me. Did you ever buy a Tech-2?

*sigh*

No. And I hope this isn't "that time". I've kept it in the back of my mind that I'll get one if/when I get to the point of absolutely needing one. I've been able to get by just fine so far. But, now, do I make this possibly $100 repair a $400+ (somewhat arbitrary figures) repair by adding in the cost of a Tech2? I feel that most anything else I'd have to mess with on this thing can be diagnosed "manually" or with the help of HPT. What's more of a kicker is that the rear A/C isn't even much of a needed function for me.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that there should be a rear orifice tube in one of those rear lines back there somewhere.

Im pretty sure its an expansion valve in the rear.

Regardless of which it has, would/could this be my problem?

I'm not in a huge rush to get into deep diagnostics with it yet. Just fishing for ideas. I'm thinking I should start with the control panel since it appears there's a definite problem there.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the AC on the rear evaporator is either going to be cold or not. If cold then probably an air flow issue. If its not cold it could be expansion valve, maybe the sense tube came out of the clip or its bad.
This is assuming correct charge and compressor is ok.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*sigh*

No. And I hope this isn't "that time". I've kept it in the back of my mind that I'll get one if/when I get to the point of absolutely needing one. I've been able to get by just fine so far. But, now, do I make this possibly $100 repair a $400+ (somewhat arbitrary figures) repair by adding in the cost of a Tech2? I feel that most anything else I'd have to mess with on this thing can be diagnosed "manually" or with the help of HPT. What's more of a kicker is that the rear A/C isn't even much of a needed function for me.
Well, when is the next time you're taking that thing to Florida?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
According to our Tech2 owners sheet Ivan74 is in Houston. Thats the closest I can find to New Iberia LA. I was supposed to be in Sulphur LA next month but plans changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17