Rear A/C oddities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the AC on the rear evaporator is either going to be cold or not.

So, with the normal/front AC on, the rear evaporator is included in the loop, so it should be cool as well? I didn't think there was a valve to isolate the flow of refrigerant from the rest of the system when the rear AC was turned off.

If cold then probably an air flow issue. If its not cold it could be expansion valve, maybe the sense tube came out of the clip or its bad.
This is assuming correct charge and compressor is ok.

Sense tube? I'm assuming the charge is ok and compressor is in working order since the front AC is doing great. I'll have to check the evaporator directly.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when is the next time you're taking that thing to Florida?

I'll be there in November for my cousin's wedding. Not sure if I'll be down any time before then. Really, I'm not even sure I'll drive. I'd like to drive down for a long trip with no real agenda so I'd have the freedom to roam.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to our Tech2 owners sheet Ivan74 is in Houston. Thats the closest I can find to New Iberia LA. I was supposed to be in Sulphur LA next month but plans changed.

I was just in New Iberia last week for work. I could make a weekend trip to Houston. I have family around there. Actually, they just spent the weekend here and we all were at my brother's house yesterday. Plenty to consider here...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be there in November for my cousin's wedding. Not sure if I'll be down any time before then. Really, I'm not even sure I'll drive. I'd like to drive down for a long trip with no real agenda so I'd have the freedom to roam.
For all you spend in fuel to get to Florida or Houston, just order one already! LOL Or get one of those MDI2 adapters with GDS2 software and use it with a laptop so you can use it on more modern GM stuff.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all you spend in fuel to get to Florida or Houston, just order one already! LOL Or get one of those MDI2 adapters with GDS2 software and use it with a laptop so you can use it on more modern GM stuff.

LOL
Well, I wouldn't drive to Florida or even Houston JUST to borrow a Tech 2. I'd go to visit fam and just work in a quick rendezvous with someone that had one as a side trip.

Unless I looked up the wrong thing, it looks like the MDI 2 is around $200. If I got that and download the software to a laptop, would I have all the same functions as the Tech 2 plus the ability to use it on more modern vehicles? Unless there's something I'm missing, it just seems like a waste to spend ~$100 more on the Tech 2 and have more limitations. Pretty much anyone has or can get a cheap laptop to dedicate to this cause. I feel I'm misunderstanding something.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL
Well, I wouldn't drive to Florida or even Houston JUST to borrow a Tech 2. I'd go to visit fam and just work in a quick rendezvous with someone that had one as a side trip.

Unless I looked up the wrong thing, it looks like the MDI 2 is around $200. If I got that and download the software to a laptop, would I have all the same functions as the Tech 2 plus the ability to use it on more modern vehicles? Unless there's something I'm missing, it just seems like a waste to spend ~$100 more on the Tech 2 and have more limitations. Pretty much anyone has or can get a cheap laptop to dedicate to this cause. I feel I'm misunderstanding something.
I will someday get the MDI2 but find the Tech-2 handier to use while on the road compared with a laptop.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will someday get the MDI2 but find the Tech-2 handier to use while on the road compared with a laptop.

So that's the only considerable difference other than a wider range of vehicles- convenience of an all-in-one package? I have a dedicated laptop for HPT. It'd make good sense for me to add the MDI 2 functionality to it. Between that, the HPT scanner and my Autel recording live data of any selected PID(s), I should be covered whether I'm parked and activating modules or datalogging while moving for drivability diagnostics.

I'm not trying to skirt around getting a Tech 2 as much as I'm trying to use what I already have and gain what I don't for just ~$200. I could get some velcro straps to be fancy and hang the Autel on the steering wheel like the Tech 2. :D

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that's the only considerable difference other than a wider range of vehicles- convenience of an all-in-one package? I have a dedicated laptop for HPT. It'd make good sense for me to add the MDI 2 functionality to it. Between that, the HPT scanner and my Autel recording live data of any selected PID(s), I should be covered whether I'm parked and activating modules or datalogging while moving for drivability diagnostics.

I'm not trying to skirt around getting a Tech 2 as much as I'm trying to use what I already have and gain what I don't for just ~$200. I could get some velcro straps to be fancy and hang the Autel on the steering wheel like the Tech 2. :D

That'll work, just check with ACDelco's TDS system to make sure the laptop is up to their standards in case you need to program.