Re gearing front and rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I currently just rebuilt and re geared mt rear diff and my mechanic is suggesting to just remove the front diff and axles , it’s awd and I have the rebuild kit and new gears for the front as well , can it be removed with no problems or just go with rebuild and re gear ? If so I can just send parts back and get the money returned

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I currently just rebuilt and re geared mt rear diff and my mechanic is suggesting to just remove the front diff and axles , it’s awd and I have the rebuild kit and new gears for the front as well , can it be removed with no problems or just go with rebuild and re gear ? If so I can just send parts back and get the money returned
A little info on what your end goal is with the re-gearing might help.

Personally, I’d keep the AWD functionality.

OP
OP
J

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the rear geared to 4.56 but my mechanic is saying i should just take out the front diff and cv axels and just leave it rwd , just trying to see if that would cause problems , I already have the gears and rebuild kit for the front but if not needed I will return the parts

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the rear geared to 4.56 but my mechanic is saying i should just take out the front diff and cv axels and just leave it rwd , just trying to see if that would cause problems , I already have the gears and rebuild kit for the front but if not needed I will return the parts
My question was why did you start the process of re-gearing in the first place?

OP
OP
J

Jonpen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My question was why did you start the process of re-gearing in the first place?
The rear had a bad seal so I was rebuilding and I’m running 22x14 on 37s so while I had it tore apart I went ahead and re geared it and the front cv axle on the inner has a lot of play so I’m thinking the bearings went out in it as well

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have 4.56 gear ratio for both , just saying he’s wanting me to eliminate the awd and get rid of the front diff and just use the rear
Sounds like a lazy mechanic to me.

I am still not understanding what your goal is with this vehicle. You put the larger tires on for a reason. Is it simply going to be a pavement princess and never see anything but highways and mall parking lots and only carry distressed furniture home from the antique shop? Or do you plan on doing some off-roading with it while towing a camper or a trailer carrying and ATV?

As has been said before by myself and @OR VietVet, why wouldn’t you keep the AWD other than a mechanic not wanting to do the work. It’s your truck. What do you want? You obviously were planning on keeping it otherwise you wouldn’t have bought the parts to do it. This is your call, not the mechanics.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it matter is it's the awd or 4wd transfer care? seems like the awd one would not be happy without the front drive shaft. maybe the 4wd one would be OK with it? I have no idea.

does seem like a weird thing to do, unless your mechanic knows something we don't, like you're never going to use it. what's the point kinda thing. is this mechanic just a friend of yours? cause I'm never met a mechanic that didn't like to make money. unless gears aren't his thing, and then I'd just find a different guy that didn't mind doing them?

like others said, I have so many questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667