RC upper control arm bushings not pressed in all the way (by design)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough Country control arms delivered today and discovered something odd...

The passenger side arms upper bushings do not appear to be pressed in all the way compared with the drivers side:
InkedPXL_20220321_202737914_LI.jpg

Thinking this was a mistake and that I should attempt pressing them in all the way I gave them a call. On their web-site they also show not being pressed in all the way except on the DS:

Inkedgm-aluminum-control-arm-19401a_LI.jpg

RC says "Do not try to press the other side in all the way as this is by design and intentionally inversed".

Anyone know why this would be or if this is just a line of BS?? Maybe others can chime in who are also running these. Thanks

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get to install the RC UCAs yet?
No idea as to why the RC UCAs bushing is like that...
I believe you were planning on going a little higher on the front end; did that happen?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I could be wrong but that may be like that, and should have been stated why it is like that by RC while on the phone and did you ask why, to help with a caster lead for alignment purposes.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made time Wednesday night and snapped the nut off the front cam bolt... oops

Ended up ordering a new set with camber locks. Never tried those before. They should deliver Monday hopefully.

Still planning to go 2.5" in the front. New magnetic shocks are set to arrive today also. Kinda getting anxious to get things back together..

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but that may be like that, and should have been stated why it is like that by RC while on the phone and did you ask why, to help with a caster lead for alignment purposes.
I think you're right. The stock arm out of the passenger side is gapped between the rim of the bushing too. Haven't pulled the DS wheel yet to see where those bushings are at but I know that arm was replaced by a 3rd party. Camber brackets & bolts arrived so I can get a little further this evening.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install went okay.

New mag-ride struts, RC upper arms, Camber locks, ttx lower balljoints. Got the 2000-2006 end links to fit (they're about an inch longer than stock) but still seem short...

Ordered mevotech ttx tie-rod ends to match the lower ball joints. Those should be here tomorrow.

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turned out better than expected. Both upper arms hovering equally above the bump stops with either side of the frame lifted after everything torqued (wheels on the ground). Rolled it around the block and everything feels tight and no mis-alignment felt. Unfortunately the go-to alignment shop is waiting on parts for their rack... may just leave'er parked unless I can find another decent shop nearby.

PXL_20220407_163336422.NIGHT.jpg

OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the before and after alignment. Said the passenger side camber adjustment would have been outside the locking cam... just checked and there is cam holes to adjust in either direction.. Looks like I'm the dummy because you need to adjust using the stock cam bolts before installing the locking cam kit. The locking cams use round bolts and aren't notched like the stock so you can't just turn the bolt to adjust. Not sure if this will be much of an issue as is but I could remove the right front wheel and adjust... Any input on that? Just need to figure out which way to go on the locking cam - raise the arm out or in.. wish I would have known all this in advance :doh2: live and learn.

PXL_20220407_230938125.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeenChevy

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good lookin out. No pull at all. Waiting on another cam alignment kit. Back to the basic unless I stack the locking cams over the top.