Rattling Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timee

Reaction score
2009 Tahoe 190,000m 5.3 2wd. Hello i’ve always noticed a slight ticking noise but it seems very loud the past week. I’ve had a cel on for a couple months now because of the cats are bad. Just wondering does this noise sound like it’s from the cats? Very loud while idling and Can hear on acceleration.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe 190,000m 5.3 2wd. Hello i’ve always noticed a slight ticking noise but it seems very loud the past week. I’ve had a cel on for a couple months now because of the cats are bad. Just wondering does this noise sound like it’s from the cats? Very loud while idling and Can hear on acceleration.

Based on your CEL and the sound, I'd suspect broken cat media. Have you crawled under there and beat 'em with a rubber mallet, piece of wood or hammer handle?

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
Based on your CEL and the sound, I'd suspect broken cat media. Have you crawled under there and beat 'em with a rubber mallet, piece of wood or hammer handle?
I crawled under there a couple months ago and did it. I’ll have to do it again and see it if quiets it down.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It will not quiet it down. If engine is shut off and there is enough catalyst broke loose, you will hear the catalyst rattle around. best to use a rubber mallet is you have one. With the noises and conditions it happens at, I agree with @iamdub.

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
It will not quiet it down. If engine is shut off and there is enough catalyst broke loose, you will hear the catalyst rattle around. best to use a rubber mallet is you have one. With the noises and conditions it happens at, I agree with @iamdub.
Yep hit both and they rattle when you hit them. Guess only option now to get the truck quiet again would be to replace them? Or do you have any ideas? Not tryna spend a ton as it’s just an extra vehicle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Replace them and all oxygen sensors. IMO.

The other thing to remember is that the catalyst that is broke loose, is also now starting to go down the piping and into the muffler.

OP
OP
T

Timee

Reaction score
Replace them and all oxygen sensors. IMO.

The other thing to remember is that the catalyst that is broke loose, is also now starting to go down the piping and into the muffler.
Any brand you recommend? I see various ranging from 200 to 1k.
Don’t live in an emissions state either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts