Rancho Rs5000x

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the twin tube rancho rs5000x shocks with 2inch lift on their 2015-2020 tahoe / yukon? What is the ride like compared to stock?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do not know of or have i heard of anyone with these...generally any off-road variant shock will be firmer (not always harsher), due to design for the application.

the added pressure, diameter of the body allows better performance at speed while in rougher terrain...most will say better ride, others will say harsher due to road feel feedback.

question would be...what re you looking for, BETTER RIDE (SOFTER ON ROAD) or something better on rough terrains (even crap highways)

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
i do not know of or have i heard of anyone with these...generally any off-road variant shock will be firmer (not always harsher), due to design for the application.

the added pressure, diameter of the body allows better performance at speed while in rougher terrain...most will say better ride, others will say harsher due to road feel feedback.

question would be...what re you looking for, BETTER RIDE (SOFTER ON ROAD) or something better on rough terrains (even crap highways)
All I am looking for is a shock that can handle lots of road imperfections comfortably, bilstiens didnt cut it for me.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, any OFF ROAD shock may fall under the same scenario...as they are generally stiffer (firmer), to handle the needs of rougher terrain.

i think you need to look at the FOX or RANCHO 9000 series. these have / can have adjustable valving.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
well, any OFF ROAD shock may fall under the same scenario...as they are generally stiffer (firmer), to handle the needs of rougher terrain.

i think you need to look at the FOX or RANCHO 9000 series. these have / can have adjustable valving.

Bought a set of 9000xl for an Escalade (deleted magnaride) and the spring rate was so off / dampening was nonexistent. I tried fitting them to the same gen yukon (it was a part number for the Yukon in tune first place) and it didnt work either. Floating around everywhere the front end skipped accross the road as though it was only riding on the springs. Also had fox 2.0s (yes this same Yukon has had 4 different sets of shocks installed) and those were too stiff + the top bushings blew out after 10k kilometers. The top bushings were soo small and weak compared to stock I cant beleive fox sells such a garbage product. Long story short ARB are the masters of producing a durable daily driver offroad height shock...shame they dont offer anything for most modern american vehicles. Ill be going for a nissan armada (which is a patrol where i am from) as the aftermarket support on those is better than the Yukon / Tahoe / Escalades.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Well, I’ve got regular RS5000 shocks on my ‘07 with a 2” lift and I don’t notice any difference in ride quality with my setup.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Well, I’ve got regular RS5000 shocks on my ‘07 with a 2” lift and I don’t notice any difference in ride quality with my setup.
Issue seems to be with the 2014-2018 trucks and 2015- 2020 suvs cus they share the same suspension geometry and setup as the 2007+ chassis trucks and suvs (same suspension part numbers respectively) but the new body just rides terribly. Big difference is in the aluminum engine blocks for newee trucks so I am lead to believe that its lighter on the shocks but still valved similar so its just a rough ride altogether.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
After a little research it sounds like the aluminum block engine is about 100lbs less than the iron block.

Wouldn’t this affect the struts more so than the shocks?

Curb weight of 2015 Yukon is 5308-5746 lbs (depending on what options you have)

Curb weight of 2007 Yukon 5265-5635lbs (depending on the options).

So it appears the newer model is heavier. Maybe this is the reason for harsher ride?

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
After a little research it sounds like the aluminum block engine is about 100lbs less than the iron block.

Wouldn’t this affect the struts more so than the shocks?

Curb weight of 2015 Yukon is 5308-5746 lbs (depending on what options you have)

Curb weight of 2007 Yukon 5265-5635lbs (depending on the options).

So it appears the newer model is heavier. Maybe this is the reason for harsher ride?
Newer models are heavier but not in the nose eight over the suspension. Its actually lighter there, same goes for the rear. I played around with the spare tire and realised that weighing the vehicle down with ballasts right around the suspension (easier to do in the rear than in the front) may solve the issue but i dont want to be hauliny an extra 200-300 lbs of dead weight. Ive come to terms with this poor call from GM. Ive had the vehicle for 5 years so probably a couple more before It would make sense to swap it for the improved versions.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you try to different settings on the 9000 ??? just curious...as most dont realize what they are controlling with the adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645