Confused about Z71 OEM ft. struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5100s have adjustable spring perches
just call any dealer parts department with the last 8 of your vin and they can tell you the spring part number needed, then shop them on rockauto/amazon/ebay those will be your best prices.

OP
OP
D

dbell54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't want springs, I need a complete assy. I hope to finish this job in my barn quickly and with a minimum of fuss and tools. Thus my queries about available complete units. AC Delco makes one but it's doesn't specify that it's a match for Z71. Not available from actual GM parts, only the separate parts, which isn't what I need.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want springs, I need a complete assy. I hope to finish this job in my barn quickly and with a minimum of fuss and tools. Thus my queries about available complete units. AC Delco makes one but it's doesn't specify that it's a match for Z71. Not available from actual GM parts, only the separate parts, which isn't what I need.
You could get rough country coilovers if you want the whole thing. I just personally like billsteins ride so I will probably swap the rough country coilovers that I have out for billsteins

OP
OP
D

dbell54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to the Rough Country website, they don't make a coilover for a 2013 Tahoe.

Edit: their lookup is crap. They have a "M1 Adjustable Leveling Struts Monotube | 0-2" | Chevy/GMC 1500 Truck & SUV (07-14)" which should work. Why that didn't come up as 2013 Tahoe is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dbell54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, a little research shows the RC setup is out. It comes preset to 2" lift and to lower it to 0" requires disassembling the strut with a spring compressor. If I was going to do that, I'd just get OEM shocks and install them and save a ton of money. I'm still looking for a drop-in install, quick and easy. But apparently no one can tell me if the available units will work correctly on my Z71.

OP
OP
D

dbell54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I emailed KYB for their recommendation and received the following reply:

The question of which product is best for you is dependent on how you use your truck. SR4079 is our recommended OEM replacement for all 2013 Chevy Tahoe 4wd as long as the vehicle does not have electronic suspension, premium smooth ride suspension, or the police package. SRM4079 is a heavy duty performance upgrade that offers increased handling and control for trucks that frequently haul heavy loads, tow, or go off-roading. SRM4079 would also have a firmer ride compared to OE product. If you are not frequently hauling heavy loads or off-roading then SRM4079 may feel too harsh when driving on standard roads with an empty truck bed.

So, since my Hoe has the Z71 pkg, which is already firmer than other Hoes, it leaves me still wondering, but I think the firmer SRM4079 would likely be the safer bet for Z71.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed KYB for their recommendation and received the following reply:

The question of which product is best for you is dependent on how you use your truck. SR4079 is our recommended OEM replacement for all 2013 Chevy Tahoe 4wd as long as the vehicle does not have electronic suspension, premium smooth ride suspension, or the police package. SRM4079 is a heavy duty performance upgrade that offers increased handling and control for trucks that frequently haul heavy loads, tow, or go off-roading. SRM4079 would also have a firmer ride compared to OE product. If you are not frequently hauling heavy loads or off-roading then SRM4079 may feel too harsh when driving on standard roads with an empty truck bed.

So, since my Hoe has the Z71 pkg, which is already firmer than other Hoes, it leaves me still wondering, but I think the firmer SRM4079 would likely be the safer bet for Z71.

I would have to agree.

Did you not ask them for a replacement for the z71?

OP
OP
D

dbell54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would have to agree.

Did you not ask them for a replacement for the z71?
Yes, I pointedly inquired about the Z71 with its specific RPO codes. They apparently have no information in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel