Radio install, Now no crank, no door locks, no keyless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Tried the relearn a few times now and each time after the first ten minute period the security light no longer comes on.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the relearn a few times now and each time after the first ten minute period the security light no longer comes on.
You might take a look in the General Discussion section and see if one of us that owns a Tech 2 lives nearby. It might be helpful to have a look with that scanner.

Some of the other "non control module" things you might take a look into would be the fuses and relays. Make sure all the fuses in the fuse boxes are whole. Also, maybe swap some relays and make sure the crank and starter relays are OK. You can use a spare like the rear window defroster relay as the test unit.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
More details. The ECM buzzes when the key is on. The onstar lights in the mirror flicker, light doesn't go out but it flickers. Also a faint noise coming from that little speaker deal in the headliner.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
It started! Multiple times. I was trying to do a relearn. I did 11 minutes this time and after the first one the security light did not come back on. The third 11 minutes the security light was back on. In the middle of the third one I heard on star talking and the display said low battery start vehicle. It did crank and start right up. Right away the radio turned on but it did turn back off. No gauges worked but I did move it forward and back a few feet and it idled for a while without shutting off. I did rev the motor up off idle. Left it off for a few hours and the gauge cluster never shut off (just the backlight). But went to start it again and back to the same thing of no crank.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started! Multiple times. I was trying to do a relearn. I did 11 minutes this time and after the first one the security light did not come back on. The third 11 minutes the security light was back on. In the middle of the third one I heard on star talking and the display said low battery start vehicle. It did crank and start right up. Right away the radio turned on but it did turn back off. No gauges worked but I did move it forward and back a few feet and it idled for a while without shutting off. I did rev the motor up off idle. Left it off for a few hours and the gauge cluster never shut off (just the backlight). But went to start it again and back to the same thing of no crank.
Bummer. I did see a YouTube video of a guy that had done some accessory work on his Tahoe and had similar symptoms to yours. He ended up fixing his issue by disconnecting the Onstar box. Somehow the Onstar system was interacting with his theft deterrent system. I will try and find that clip.

The ECM buzzing doesn't sound good though, I won't lie.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
I am leaning heavily to the Onstar as well. Going to disable it tonight. Found a clip. Very interesting that it started right up after Onstar was communicating. Literally the only thing that I did that started the mess was unplug the connection on the back of the mirror and splice in my camera wires. Then plugged it back in and all this mess starts. The flickering Onstar lights is a clue. The deal in the ceiling that is making noise has to do with the HVAC system. I was wiggling the wires around at the mirror connection and the onstar lights went out. Hopefully that is it because this is terrible having this nice vehicle dead in the garage. The video talks about all the warning lights that my vehicle currently displays.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to disconnect the battery before doing the work you did?

There was a recent thread with similar symptoms (security like issues) where someone was working on their power lift gate (or maybe their wiper motor) and didn't disconnect the battery. Somehow they took out their Body Control Module (I think it was the BCM), due to I think the internal grounding design of the BCM. You might search the Engine and Powertrain and the General Discussion section of these MY's and check it out.

Good luck.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Did you happen to disconnect the battery before doing the work you did?

There was a recent thread with similar symptoms (security like issues) where someone was working on their power lift gate (or maybe their wiper motor) and didn't disconnect the battery. Somehow they took out their Body Control Module (I think it was the BCM), due to I think the internal grounding design of the BCM. You might search the Engine and Powertrain and the General Discussion section of these MY's and check it out.

Good luck.
Of course I didn't disconnect the battery. I like to live dangerously. It very well could be the BCM as well as I have heard about the ground issues and to me that would make sense for the door locks not operating anymore. I did remove the BCM and took it apart and the circuit board looked great.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course I didn't disconnect the battery. I like to live dangerously. It very well could be the BCM as well as I have heard about the ground issues and to me that would make sense for the door locks not operating anymore. I did remove the BCM and took it apart and the circuit board looked great.
Another shot in the dark might be to disconnect the negative pole on the battery and leave it off for maybe 30 minutes. If the RAM got semi scrambled in one or more of the control modules, discharging everything fully might allow a reload from non-volatile memory and get things reset. Some guys touch both battery cables (off the battery) to assure complete discharge.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Tonight I disconnected the link inside the On Star module and removed the fuse, all with the battery disconnected. Reconnected the battery and she fired right up with zero warning lights. Power door locks were back, did not check the windows, did not pay attention to the tach or the gear position lines under the gears but I assume that was working because the oil pressure was for sure working I remember seeing that, Pioneer aftermarket radio powered on and I was going through the setup settings on the radio and heard a click from I don't know where and back to the same door locks not working and the gauge cluster still lit but no functions and the radio shut off. The gauge does still display all the warnings about the system faults. This all happened in I want to say under 30 seconds. Same thing as last night basically. So it is promising that everything does still work. Just something is shutting it down. Does anyone know what type of test runs after the car starts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157