Radiator replacement - oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have a radiator leak and plan on replacing it.

I currently do NOT have a oil cooler but thought it may be worth upgrading to the radiator that has it.

I’m wondering if all i would need is the cooler lines (acdelco 20828695), anyone done this before?

Also is there any negative to doing this? Is my oil pump equipped to pump through a cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have a radiator leak and plan on replacing it.

I currently do NOT have a oil cooler but thought it may be worth upgrading to the radiator that has it.

I’m wondering if all i would need is the cooler lines (acdelco 20828695), anyone done this before?

Also is there any negative to doing this? Is my oil pump equipped to pump through a cooler?

You can do it, it's a great addition. Yes, your oil pump was made to handle it.

I just opened my replacement hoses, same pn as yours. It comes with the gasket at the oil pan. You'll need a bolt and those two clips that secure the lines into the radiator.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just opened my replacement hoses, same pn as yours. It comes with the gasket at the oil pan. You'll need a bolt and those two clips that secure the lines into the radiator.

Any idea on the thread size of said bolt? I just installed the lines and need to get a bolt.

FYI it’s a pita on a 4 wheel drive.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, sorry. Did you loosen the diff bolts or drop the differential?

Yea loosened the diff bolts, removed the oil filter and guessed to where is was supposed to be routed. It wouldn’t have been nearly as challenging if I was just replacing it because I would have seen where it came from.

Easier than the trans cooler lines, but still a major pita.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea loosened the diff bolts, removed the oil filter and guessed to where is was supposed to be routed. It wouldn’t have been nearly as challenging if I was just replacing it because I would have seen where it came from.

Easier than the trans cooler lines, but still a major pita.

Thanks! Now, I really can't wait to do mine, NOT! LOL

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Below is my current oil pressure readout after installing the cooler. Should I be concerned? I don’t have any before readings but I don’t recall them being this low.

Also, I did top off fluid after everything was done so it’s not low on oil or anything.

Warm Idle
421e5831826b5ca5e242243c8a4b5d27.jpg

Warm cruising speed
c3ee45014c579b1311f84a61ae7ffe12.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That is pretty normal for most of these trucks.

GM claims these LS engines only need something like 6psi of oil pressure to float the crankshaft of my memory serves me.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
i will also add this option before next summer. i think what your seeing is the new norm as your oil heats more rapidily to op temp based upon the fact that the radiator coolant is now heating/cooling the oil more effectively. this is a benefit by itself, plus the added insurance of lower oil temps under extreme conditions such as uphill towing/high rpm and summer heat the oil temp/pressure will be more stable. Great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts