rack & pinion and tie rod end advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve34459

Reaction score
Hello! I'm not sure if this goes into Engine & Drivetrain.

We were told a relative's yukon denali needs a new rack and pinion as well as outer tie rod ends. rack and pinion is busted and currently no point in getting an alignment. front outer tie rod ends seem to be "busted" as well. Inner part of the front tires are wearing out badly/excessively. the shop quoted us $380 for "Steering Rack Long Rack" ACDelco #19320052 and $50 for "Tie rod end front outer" #19195659. Labor would be $200. $660 total. Does that sound reasonable? in Southern California, btw. Are there other options for rack and pinion online that have decent quality. Summit Racing has ACDelco rack and pinion for under $300 with $200 core charge. How about tie rod ends? I've only heard of ACDelco and Moog tie rods on rockauto. Thank you!

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually if the inner edges of the front tires are wearing prematurely, your ball joints are worn, causing excessive negative camber. I'd plan on a total front end rebuild, including control arm bushings and ball joints.

Note that there is also an inner tie rod end that can wear, too. Usually the rack is pretty robust. I'd do the tie rod ends, both inner and outer, before replacing the rack. You can do that later.

OP
OP
S

steve34459

Reaction score
So the truck belongs to one of my siblings. I asked him more about what the shop said. Apparently there is no leak, the "bellows" seem intact. They showed him how it works( moves left and right when turning steering wheel.) They didnt necessarily point out a broken/busted rack and pinon. They did show him the wear on the tires, though. They also said that if he got an alignment, it would get misaligned eventually given the condition of the rack and pinion and outer tie rod ends. They then proceeded to give him quotes on new/rebuilt ACdelco parts. Of course, they could've mentioned how exactly it is busted, but I wasn't there so I don't really know the whole story. The estimate sheet details the Labor as "Remove/Replace the Manual and Power Rack and Pinion, Worm and Ball Nut and rack and pinion piston assemblies. Adjust toe-in on Rack and pinion models." There is no weird or loud noises coming from the steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157