Question on Google Maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that is correct, I have it setup already, was just curious what happens when the trial runs out. Wireless car play definitely helps with the long term need for navigation though lol. Surprising they would offer a navigation technology that you have to pay for monthly to be able to use...
same thing on my 18 no pay no play, so plug in phone use waze, works better than google maps anyway even though it's owned by google

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait - so I can connect my Google phone to the center console to use Google Map services on it without OnStar?
Yes, that's the wonderful thing about Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Your infotainment system will always be "up-to-date" since your car mirrors whatever Google or Apple have released. It doesn't take long for an OEM designed infotainment system to feel "dated," but now with AA and ACP, that's no longer the case.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait - so I can connect my Google phone to the center console to use Google Map services on it without OnStar?
Correct, the new GM's support Android Auto which will mirror your phone map to the screen on the dash. I don't have an Android phone but assume it would be a similar interface as Apple Carplay.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.
Absolutely, I need to get it cleaned up and will post some photos ASAP!

Cryptocap

Reaction score
Realizing that google maps is now the nav provider for GM, how long can one expect Google maps to work? Does the service run out when the trial wifi runs out or will it work for the life of the truck?
The one thing about using Apple / Android play once the 3-year WiFi plan runs out is that, as far as I can tell, the directions will not display on the digital dash or heads-up-display when using them -- while it does when using Google Maps (if you choose that setting).

Being able to see GPS directions on my digital display right in front of me so I don't have to look at the big touch screen map is very important to me... YMMV, but I will be paying for the connected service for the duration I have the car just to preserve that feature.

WiFi is also handy for my son being able to watch YouTube videos while driving...
I need to try it still, but I think if you connect your truck to your phones’ hotspot you will be able to use the google features built in. When I used apple car play I could have sworn I saw the directions on the digital dash.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the wonderful thing about Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Your infotainment system will always be "up-to-date" since your car mirrors whatever Google or Apple have released. It doesn't take long for an OEM designed infotainment system to feel "dated," but now with AA and ACP, that's no longer the case.

Correct, the new GM's support Android Auto which will mirror your phone map to the screen on the dash. I don't have an Android phone but assume it would be a similar interface as Apple Carplay.

@StephenPT and @DenaliCountry - that's awesome. I was deadset that once my OnStar subscription ran out, then the maps on my dash would be useless. Way cool! Thank you

I need to try it still, but I think if you connect your truck to your phones’ hotspot you will be able to use the google features built in. When I used apple car play I could have sworn I saw the directions on the digital dash.

@Cryptocap let me know if that works. Fingers crossed that it works, but knowing GM I'm not holdling my breath.

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard this doesn’t work, but I’d be very interested in knowing results from you trying it.

Reaction score
Just so everyone is clear, I believe what started here is about what is new for GM in the Navigation world with "Maps +":

"newyukondriver" sums it up pretty good, but I'm still not clear on whether this is a replacement for the old navigation system that required those $199.00 (sometimes less) annual updates. So, has this old system gone away with the new (2022) models now?

newyukondriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The old system is gone. It's only the Google maps, plus whatever you can get on Carplay/Android mirroring.

To be clear, the Carplay/Android mirroring will show the maps on the big touch screen thing (the one that controls music system, etc.). But the digital dash that displays the speed limit above your steering wheel (and the heads-up-display) only shows the next direction if you are using the Google maps. At least for me. I tried it again today w/ Apple CarPlay just to see, and it wasn't showing me the next direction as it does w/ maps.