Question on Google Maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2022 Yukon Denali in the White Frost Tricoat, it's basically the Ultimate aside from not having rear entertainment (Air ride, Active Response 4WD, Max Tow, Premium Package, Advanced Technology Package, Advanced Security Package, etc). Realizing that google maps is now the nav provider for GM, how long can one expect Google maps to work? Does the service run out when the trial wifi runs out or will it work for the life of the truck?

Love this thing so far, it is heads and toes above the 2019 Tahoe RST I traded for it.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs out when you no longer have a data plan through OnStar. If you continue to pay for data, then the connected services via Google will continue to work.

However, you have built-in Android Auto and Apple Car Play, so if you have either of those Mobile OS', then you can connect NAV through those services and they will always work so long as you have a cell phone plan.

Yarosuav

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2022 Yukon Denali in the White Frost Tricoat, it's basically the Ultimate aside from not having rear entertainment (Air ride, Active Response 4WD, Max Tow, Premium Package, Advanced Technology Package, Advanced Security Package, etc). Realizing that google maps is now the nav provider for GM, how long can one expect Google maps to work? Does the service run out when the trial wifi runs out or will it work for the life of the truck?

Love this thing so far, it is heads and toes above the 2019 Tahoe RST I traded for it.

Congrats! I have the exact same build on order, except different color. When did you place your order and how long did you wait? Thanks

mbd2015LTZ

Reaction score
GMC at4 and Denali both get 36 mos of GMC connected services with purchase, so you “should” have access for 3 years…push on star button and ask!

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMC at4 and Denali both get 36 mos of GMC connected services with purchase, so you “should” have access for 3 years…push on star button and ask!
Yes that is correct, I have it setup already, was just curious what happens when the trial runs out. Wireless car play definitely helps with the long term need for navigation though lol. Surprising they would offer a navigation technology that you have to pay for monthly to be able to use...

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I have the exact same build on order, except different color. When did you place your order and how long did you wait? Thanks
Thank you! It is a pretty sweet ride. Mine took about 12 weeks to come in. It was at the dealer 3 weeks after it was built. However, I have heard rumors that Air Suspension models are not currently being offered or built due to the chip shortage. I think I got lucky with mine as it got built before they ran into allocation issues with chips. At least that is what I was told.

newyukondriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had my new Yukon Denali XL for 3 weeks. I really love the Google maps, it's world's above the GPS in my previous car and my husband's car because of the route selection options; real-time traffic changes; etc.

The one thing about using Apple / Android play once the 3-year WiFi plan runs out is that, as far as I can tell, the directions will not display on the digital dash or heads-up-display when using them -- while it does when using Google Maps (if you choose that setting).

Being able to see GPS directions on my digital display right in front of me so I don't have to look at the big touch screen map is very important to me... YMMV, but I will be paying for the connected service for the duration I have the car just to preserve that feature.

While it's annoying, I think the added benefit of having Google maps is worth it. In my 2019 Pathfinder I traded in and my husbands 2018 Mazda CX9, the built-in GPS are both so bad that we ended up using Google maps on my phone all the time (which I hated since it meant looking at a teeny tiny screen or manually giving my husband directions while driving).

WiFi is also handy for my son being able to watch YouTube videos while driving...

Erik23

Reaction score
Does it have the satellite view that shows the actual google earth images as an option like google maps app on your phone has?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter