Question about the Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Siems13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the headlight issue as well. I have a 22 Tahoe High Country that was built in February 2022. On our first trip I noticed the headlight icon on during a perfectly sunny day, and as the sun went down, the icon went off and DRLs came on. Carried it to the dealership after researching this and coming across this post (plus I had two warranty repairs needing to be done). They tried giving me the same spill that the headlights were suppose to be on during a perfectly sunny day due to safety reason and that GM engineers confirmed they were working as designed. Because it wasn't giving diagnostic code, they refused to change the sensor, so I told them to change the sensor and bill me for the part and one hour labor. They initially refused to do that because there may be a deeper issue (even though they've told me multiple times that all is working "well"), but finally gave in to billing me for a new sensor. I had even sent the service manager the link to this thread and ask him to read the issues people were having and encouraged him to read the GM owner's manual for Tahoe DRLs because they were working opposite of what the manual states. The dealership delivered my Tahoe to the house this past Monday, and they had replaced the sensor and repaired the warranty issues. I looked over the computer printout to see how much I owed on the sensor replacement, and what do you know, it was covered under warranty. The DRLs work as any DRL system is supposed to work and then the headlights come on when it actually gets dark outside. I guess they felt compelled to file it under warranty sense my "problem" was resolved. Man, common sense is in short supply nowadays.
Same issue here. Dealer claims they're working as they should and it's a "safety feature". Once again, makes zero sense. I am going to go back to the dealership this week and ask for the same thing. I'll be interested to see what they try and charge me to replace it.

Motocross338

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same issue here. Dealer claims they're working as they should and it's a "safety feature". Once again, makes zero sense. I am going to go back to the dealership this week and ask for the same thing. I'll be interested to see what they try and charge me to replace it.
The dealership was going to charge me around $115…$13 part, labor and applicable taxes. Initially refused to replace it under warranty due to no diagnostic code. Next thing I know is it was covered.

Morales1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dealer did
What did you tell them was wrong with it or diagnosis paperwork? I cant get the dealers to help at all. I am now dealing with 3 of them that all say its how it is supposed to be when I know for sure it is not.

ecbc1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealer said it was functioning normal with no error codes and no bulletins.

So I asked that the tech and I look at it together. It was sunny and bright and he shined a flashlight on it and it immediately turned on the DRL. And he took away the flashlight and the headlights went on.

Tech agreed something was wrong so they ordered the part. Unfortunately its backordered so they don't know when it'll come in. They'll call when it arrives.

What worked for me was showing the tech.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I left my office today, the sun was a little lower and the trees were blocking direct sunlight so the Daytime Running Lights came on as they should. As I pulled out of my office and headed down the street where the trees are cleared, the sunlight was able to directly hit my sensor and my headlight indicator on the dash came on. Definitely either a bad sensor or a software issue.
maybe they plugged it in backwards

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you tell them was wrong with it or diagnosis paperwork? I cant get the dealers to help at all. I am now dealing with 3 of them that all say its how it is supposed to be when I know for sure it is not.
Tell them to call GM tech line and ASK.
I cannot believe how crazy some dealers are on this...agree w/ the guy in post #85. Get a tech to look at it, or put it in the sun w/ the lights on and then shine a flashlight on it and watch the DRL's come on.
OR, cover it up and watch the lights turn off!!

amrock88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats up guys, glad I found this thread. I have the same issue on my 2022 Yukon Denali! At first the dealer played dumb and didnt want to do anything. I first brought it up to them in April after taking delivery and just now I hear that the sensor is on backorder from them. I have been telling them for months now to get this fixed for me and after so long they decide to "find out" its on backorder. I followed what some of the guys said and found the sensor online at GM parts bin. Just placed my order for it and will handle this myself as well.. thanks for the info all.

Jcunny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To close the loop, they replaced the light sensor for free (under warranty due to error code) and everything is working as it should.

They also mentioned that there are a lot more of these complaints coming in and that the light sensor is now back ordered.

Tyrell

Reaction score
My dealer also told me it is backordered. Thinking I may just buy my own from GM Parts Bin like other have. How are they available through that sales channel but not available to the dealers from GM???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17