Question about the Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2022 Tahoe built at the end of March, same issue, headlights on in bright sunlight.

I can see where some dealers are hesitant about moving forward if you don't have the vehicle actually showing the problem when you bring it in.

Dealer said they wouldn't be able to fix it under warranty if we brought the part in. Said they aren't allowed to order the part beforehand either...which makes sense. So i ordered the part from their parts department a few weeks ago and had them hold it. Said I'd pay for it ($12) if that wasn't the problem. Honestly got a little lucky with them agreeing to move forward with down that path. A couple hundred dollar part and they probably wouldn't have agreed to it... Had it fixed under warranty - below are their notes

1654816649743.png

vwfast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just ordered the sensor for my 2022 Z71 with the same issue. Glad I found this as I had been reading the manual and playing around trying to get the DRL’s to come on thinking I was crazy.

Siems13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dealer also told me it is backordered. Thinking I may just buy my own from GM Parts Bin like other have. How are they available through that sales channel but not available to the dealers from GM???
Same thing here. I had taken mine in a few weeks ago and they claimed they ran a diagnostic on it and nothing was wrong. Unfortunately it was rainy that day so the headlights were on anyways. Took it back on a bright, sunny day when the sun was shining right on the sensor and the headlights were on. Tech & Service Manager both agreed something wasn't right. They ordered a new sensor, but of course on backorder too. Who knows how long it'll be before one comes in! Frustrating. I figure there will be a service bulletin/recall on this VERY soon.

Siems13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you tell them was wrong with it or diagnosis paperwork? I cant get the dealers to help at all. I am now dealing with 3 of them that all say its how it is supposed to be when I know for sure it is not.
Just stop by the dealership/service department on a day when it's bright & sunny and have them come out and look at it. That's what I had to do with mine. They had to see for themselves the bright sunlight hitting right on the sensor to put 2 + 2 together that something wasn't right. It's hard to argue the system is functioning as it should be when the headlights are on in bright sunlight. That's what it took for me anyways!

Drothe3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for this stupid question but please confirm my understanding. I think my low beam headlights are also incorrectly on during bright sunlight (switch is set to Auto). A short phone call and description to my local service dept said they are functioning as they are supposed to. I don't think he is correct.

To avoid descriptive errors on my part, here are a couple example pictures to illustrate...

What my headlights look like in bright sunlight:
View attachment 370557

What I believe my headlights (DRLs) are SUPPOSED to look like in bright sunlight:
View attachment 370558
Exactly what my 22 Denali is doing and I believe you are correct. Great pictures, thank you for doing this. Looks like I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up our '22 Tahoe this past weekend and same deal with the headlights. Had the dealer order the sensor but no ETA yet. Anyone have luck with someone online who has any left? I've checked the typical places, including parts bin, but so far no luck.

vwfast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd like to know too. Had 2 online orders cancelled after they determined they couldn't get the sensor. Had dealer check and they said it looks like a nationwide backorder but they've ordered it for me with no ETA.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know too. Had 2 online orders cancelled after they determined they couldn't get the sensor. Had dealer check and they said it looks like a nationwide backorder but they've ordered it for me with no ETA.
When searching I stumbled upon a lot of info in a corvette forum. Seems the C8 vets have P/N 13529378, older sensors with that p/n are good, newer ones aren't. Those guys are pulling serial numbers together to try to figure out a cutoff (props to them for the effort as some of them reference coming here when researching too). When going to dealers, before the shortage, the P/N 13545621 was being used to replace there's. Seems to me the two are likely backwards compatible so I'm going to try the older one from an ebay seller that seems to have old stock (at least the vet guys have had success with that seller but who knows what you'll get). Should have it in 4-5 days, I'll report back if it works as they seem to be more readily available, even though we could still get a bad one if not old enough inventory...

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found parts that “weren’t available “ by Calling the largest dealer in each of my surrounding states, with the GM part number. Many times these dealers have access to an in-state Intranet that searches the parts availability of all dealers inside that state. I found parts on the shelf at certain dealers that weren’t available or radar nationally.
Whether you can coerce them or not to get them to sell that part to you is another story. Of the parts I found available, many dealers protected them and would not sell them to me, but eventually I came across the one that would and that’s how I got my airbag issue fixed….

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found parts that “weren’t available “ by Calling the largest dealer in each of my surrounding states, with the GM part number. Many times these dealers have access to an in-state Intranet that searches the parts availability of all dealers inside that state. I found parts on the shelf at certain dealers that weren’t available or radar nationally.
Whether you can coerce them or not to get them to sell that part to you is another story. Of the parts I found available, many dealers protected them and would not sell them to me, but eventually I came across the one that would and that’s how I got my airbag issue fixed….
One of the local dealers I talked to didn't have it but rattled off a couple dealers that did. None were within driving distance but I contacted the closet one. They weren't willing to ship it. I could keep going down that route but then I'm thinking the older P/N (older stock) may be the closest "known good" sensors so far, so giving that a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons