Question about the Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
I’m going to the dealer tomorrow and will have them look into it. It’s definitely not the way the sensor should be acting… But it’s interesting it’s happening to multiple people.
Sounds good. Please report back!

Square1Services

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A shot in the dark here and before anyone blasts me, I’m simply speculating. Could the lights be similar to a cell display? The brighter it is outside the brighter the screen (Headlights in this case) when set to auto? The logic being that when it’s cloudy or not direct sunlight then DRL are sufficient, but in full sun and clear skies the DRL aren’t bright enough so the truck switches over to the regular headlight so that they can be seen in full sun. Like I said I’m speculating, but it’s the first thing I thought when I saw this post.

Yarosuav

Reaction score
A shot in the dark here and before anyone blasts me, I’m simply speculating. Could the lights be similar to a cell display? The brighter it is outside the brighter the screen (Headlights in this case) when set to auto? The logic being that when it’s cloudy or not direct sunlight then DRL are sufficient, but in full sun and clear skies the DRL aren’t bright enough so the truck switches over to the regular headlight so that they can be seen in full sun. Like I said I’m speculating, but it’s the first thing I thought when I saw this post.

That’s exactly what I initially thought as well, however:
- That’s not how the auto headlamps should behave according to manual, and
- I see plenty of other Yukons (and other GM trucks) driving around in full sun, with only DRL on

Crzylgs

Reaction score
So the service department looked at it, and the ambient light sensor is throwing off an error code. It will have to be replaced.
Thanks for reporting back. It seems like everyone will need to bring it in then.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
So the service department looked at it, and the ambient light sensor is throwing off an error code. It will have to be replaced.
Did they tell you what replacing it would entail and how long it would take them to get the sensor?

Yarosuav

Reaction score
Did they tell you what replacing it would entail and how long it would take them to get the sensor?

Not sure what replacing it would entail (seemed to me they just replace the sensor). They mentioned they should have the part sometime next week, but you never know these days…

Square1Services

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I initially thought as well, however:
- That’s not how the auto headlamps should behave according to manual, and
- I see plenty of other Yukons (and other GM trucks) driving around in full sun, with only DRL on
I stand corrected. I’ll have to keep an eye out for mine.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
The only time my DRL are on is when the vehicle is driving in a shaded area. If it is sunny, the headlights are on instead of the DRL.

Crzylgs

Reaction score
Not sure what replacing it would entail (seemed to me they just replace the sensor). They mentioned they should have the part sometime next week, but you never know these days…
Sounds good, please keep us posted when you get replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9