Quality paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can I expect to pay for a quality paint job on my '03 Yukon XL? The body condition is excellent with only a couple of dings and a few scratches to repair. No peeling or paint removal will be needed. About 1/2 of mine was repainted about 6 years ago, but the driver side, rear gate and roof are starting to show their age. Time to make it all fresh. Going back the factory Dark Spiral Gray color. This is my forever ride so I don't want a Maaco quickie.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 10-12 years ago i had my 87 suburban repainted with one tiny rust hole and a few dings to be fixed and it cost me $4400 and from your sig i see you had an older burban so you know how simple those trucks are to disassemble compared to newer vehicles. If i had to guess i`d say at least $5000 for a good paint job but it will cost less if they don`t have to paint the door jambs.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the paint material will be costly, but demand the best undercoat / paint product ($1,500 + ?)...... The overspray protection is important, along with the guy holding on the the spray gun!!

If (as you say) are keeping it, the investment is more than worth it.

OP
OP
SRQYukon

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was thinking between $4000-5000. I don't see why the jambs would need painting, but mine has painted door handles that will need to be removed. No much else to remove except rear bumper. All of the exterior trim has been removed (side moldings, badges, etc).
Any suggestions on how to evaluate a good shop? Last time I took the recommendation from locals that a particular shop was the "best in town". Their work was fair, at best. The hood was dry-sprayed and never had the shine it should have. They didn't remove any molding or door handles. Within a year it looked pretty bad. I should have taken it back, but I was so busy at work I couldn't afford to do without my truck, again. And they had already taken an extra week getting it finished.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to evaluate a good shop

Sunset Cadillac of Sarasota / Bradenton, has their paint/body shop down the street, south from the Bradenton dealership.

We had a little rear work done on our new Infiniti. Nice work, good reputation. Infiniti of Sarasota suggested them. Paint finish was perfect.

They have "old school" body & paint guys working there. Prices are similar to other shops.
They understand, their customers expect quality.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauge quality by the cars you see there and look on line for reviews like Mountie’s and check BBB for complaints.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely do your digging on this. ive used 2 body shops in my area so far. one was to repaint my drivers door where it was keyed. they sanded the keyed mark but didn't fade that out at all. door was proper color but you could see a circle in the paint pretty easily where they sanded it. the other shop replaced the passenger fender on the same car. did not get to color right and did not try to blend it with the rest of the car. they also just tossed the washer fluid jug into the back seat and never put it on. my wife forced me to leave the first shop alone. the second shop gave me the well cant you just put that back in.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
drakon543...... It appeared the painters were not "old school" technicians.....

( Which was why the Cadillac shop only hires the old guys )

That's what they told me, why my paint job was so well done.

09Tahoe4Now

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint job prices are regional pretty much. Price ranges mentioned are fair for a non-custom color paint job that’s straight forward. Honestly, paint materials should be under $800-$1,000 depending on paint brand used. The rest is labor for the most part. To properly prep and repair a vehicle for paint takes time and skill.

Always ask about the prep process..taping off, sanding, repair of dents(PDR vs other methods that may require use of bondo), brands of paint and clears used, how many coats, WARRANTY?, view work they currently have in progress, pictures of past similar jobs completed and if possible if those customers would be willing to let you view their vehicles.

The issue with jobs like this is that they are time consuming. Shops can knock out a few insurance fender benders and make just as much money with less effort. So, the shops charge more for the time tied up in these type of projects and that’s why the prices vary—along with the quality of work. Definitely check for warranty on the work performed i.e., issues with clear, paint premature fade..

Good luck