Quality paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SRQYukon

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't own a clean 1,500 squ ft shop behind your home.........

1/2 cash, 1/2 credit card. Rent a car for 2 weeks.

Better deal than a new Yukon or Tahoe for $75,000. Look at the money you save, and you have a beautiful SUV again!!
Tempting, Mountie...…...but I'm not retired. I own and run a business. So even though the body shop will have it for a couple of weeks, at least I'm still making money while it's happening.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tempting, Mountie...…...but I'm noy retired. I own and run a business. So even though the body shop will have it for a couple of weeks, at least I'm still making money while it's happening.

If I read you correctly....... You need your truck for your business? Yea, let them spend the time to paint it..... Rent a truck..... ( van?)....... And write off all expenses.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F28A94A1-39D0-4651-ABB3-EA0F9D5132AB.jpeg 5BD1E76A-9DA8-4A8E-B54B-3922CD1ACE47.jpeg I don’t know ? I’m in California and body shops can definitely run up a big bill for a complete paint job on any suv size vehicle. After a little research I ended up purchasing my own gallon of factory color/code matched PPG brand paint on eBay for $130 that in my opinion looks amazing ! Also got all needed supplies , hardener , clear and something else ?? Can’t remember primer ? Any how I spent a total of $480 on supplies . Not bad considering I bought superior products . I then took my vehicle to a shop and had them prep and paint for $1200 total $1680.00

OP
OP
SRQYukon

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems here in SW Florida, that all of the shops focus on collision work and really don't care much about repaints (except for Maaco and similar discount shops that focus on the opposite). So the shops that do quality repaints are dealing with high-end classic car restorations, luxury and exotic cars and that is reflected in what they charge.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems here in SW Florida, that all of the shops focus on collision work and really don't care much about repaints (except for Maaco and similar discount shops that focus on the opposite). So the shops that do quality repaints are dealing with high-end classic car restorations, luxury and exotic cars and that is reflected in what they charge.

That's because the insurance companies are an open checkbook and customers coming in paying for work themselves are usually on some sort of budget. If they screw up quoting a collision job, they just make a supplement and still get paid.

If I was going to do this to my vehicle, I would rather go to a place that deals in high-end paint jobs. Surely they can charge less for a "daily driver" paint job that they aren't spending days sanding to get the body show car perfect.

OP
OP
SRQYukon

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because the insurance companies are an open checkbook and customers coming in paying for work themselves are usually on some sort of budget. If they screw up quoting a collision job, they just make a supplement and still get paid.

If I was going to do this to my vehicle, I would rather go to a place that deals in high-end paint jobs. Surely they can charge less for a "daily driver" paint job that they aren't spending days sanding to get the body show car perfect.
I agree. I'm looking for such a shop. One that isn't so busy that they laugh when I ask for the "daily driver special".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011