Pulled the driver seat to replace cushion. Question about the E Torx bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sparkvark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! I have a Suburban that needs this so bad and I have been so chicken to do it, LOL. I kind of want to see if I can find superior foam for the seat, though, but it just may be that the foam I have is so old that OEM foam will be just fine. Currently, if you sit in the seat for any length of time, your backside starts to hurt. :(

https://www.ebay.com/i/264217022527...omf47MEggBb6kqwoBke5ma-wS4YSdAmwaArSNEALw_wcB

This is what I bought. I shopped around and felt like this was the best value. People seemed pleased. I looked around and they have a regular website and the price was more expensive than their Ebay store.

itsagaas

Reaction score
My '96 2-door Tahoe needed a seat cushion. When I did mine I worked with The Seat Shop (near Dallas) for the replacement cushion and I also went with new leather seat covers and armrest covers. The fit was perfect and The Seat Shop's on-line videos were a big help. www.theseatshop.com

itsagaas

Reaction score
One thing that might help some other owners... many of the seat bolts can be accessed from under the truck. If rusty threads are an issue, you can usually get a wire brush or wire wheel on them to clean them up and spray penetrating oil on from below or run a die over them. One thing I did on mine that helped for the really tough ones was to cut the head of the bolt off from above and remove the bolt from below with a stud extractor chucked into my impact gun.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that might help some other owners... many of the seat bolts can be accessed from under the truck. If rusty threads are an issue, you can usually get a wire brush or wire wheel on them to clean them up and spray penetrating oil on from below or run a die over them. One thing I did on mine that helped for the really tough ones was to cut the head of the bolt off from above and remove the bolt from below with a stud extractor chucked into my impact gun.
Sucks. Do not like.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: Use the undamaged "twin" bolt as a chaser. Run it in and out 3-4 times.
Generally all that does is damage the good bolt if the threads are damaged so do it carefully. If it starts to feel too tight, pull it out and get the right size tap to chase the threads with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972