Puffs of Blue Smoke on Cold Starts and Oil Loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

2006 Tahoe here with the 5.3. Recently I noticed some unusual oil consumption on this vehicle. It never used to burn oil or need oil between changes but now I am putting in at least 1 quart every 3000 miles. I have also noticed on cold start ups puffs of smoke, it looks blueish for oil. After the car is at operating temps there is no more smoke and does not smoke at all while driving. My drive way is angled on the right side so I noticed with I park on the right, the truck tilts to the left here, the smoke is the worst on start up. It still clears up after driving but seems worse when I leave it parked there for a day or more with out starting. I've have changed the oil at least twice with no change. I was going to pull the driver side valve cover to check for the integrated PCV being being blocked. Is there anything else I should check?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Could have leaking valve seals. Oil gets by and when you start up it burning off all the residual that got by

OP
OP
G

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that something I can see when I take off the valve cover? Or do I need to pull the plugs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn