Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thislife1977

Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone would pay so much over MSRP. I had an interesting email exchange with Koons this week. In a nut shell he told me it’s a sellers market and I should not having any issue with them charging $5 or $10k (even $15k on some) because used car trade in values are up some…. Koons will never get any business from me.

DO NOT DEAL WITH KOONS!!!!! Especially the one by Tysons and Woodbridge! They will **** you. Generally NOVA is an affluent area so people WILL pay a premium for the vehicles they want. I purchased/ordered mine from Joyce Koons (not affiliated) and I purchased an AT4 $4000 under MSRP! They are good people. Ordered in March and took delivery at the beginning of May.

Thislife1977

Reaction score
What makes you think a dealer HAS to accept an "ordered" vehicle at MSRP?

If you have a purchase agreement in Virginia, they HAVE to sell you the vehicle at the agreed price when you ordered the vehicle. Otherwise they will be in violation of the Consume Protection Act and you can file a lawsuit against the Dealer and GM! I’ve discussed the issue with a Lawyer. They will get in big trouble and can lose their Dealer license!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a purchase agreement in Virginia, they HAVE to sell you the vehicle at the agreed price when you ordered the vehicle. Otherwise they will be in violation of the Consume Protection Act and you can file a lawsuit against the Dealer and GM! I’ve discussed the issue with a Lawyer. They will get in big trouble and can lose their Dealer license!

Yes this is true, but you are missing my point.... They do not have to agree to MSRP on orders.. They can still tell you +5k on an order or pound sand....

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the GM Supplier discount on our Denali, MSRP was 88k and we paid 80k. We were looking on GMC's website I called all the dealers within 2000 miles and it was probably close to 50/50 on if dealers were accepting the discount code, we were getting ready to fly to MI from SC to purchase one and decided the check the inventory again and found one within 3 hours that had just popped up, took off work and headed there.

Half way there they called and said someone else from my city wanted to put a deposit down and said if we wanted it we had to put a deposit down, so we put down 3k over the phone and came home that night in a sweet ride.

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this as a new paradigm shift in vehicle purchasing. Just like housing, prices will start at MSRP. There will be no negotiating 5 to 10% off like there was in the past. MSRP will be the sales price and if the vehicle is a hot ticket it will be MSRP plus if you want it. I’ve read that many places, and by a year from now this will be the new normal.
I wish this was illegal. It’s unethical at least.

but it’s people who do not walk away because they have to have it now, that affect the rest of us!

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the GM Supplier discount on our Denali, MSRP was 88k and we paid 80k. We were looking on GMC's website I called all the dealers within 2000 miles and it was probably close to 50/50 on if dealers were accepting the discount code, we were getting ready to fly to MI from SC to purchase one and decided the check the inventory again and found one within 3 hours that had just popped up, took off work and headed there.

Half way there they called and said someone else from my city wanted to put a deposit down and said if we wanted it we had to put a deposit down, so we put down 3k over the phone and came home that night in a sweet ride.

I ordered my vehicle at supplier pricing, before they jacked the prices up by $5K! I got a 2WD Denali for $80.6K in preliminary. Man I hope they don’t screw me over when it’s built and I get a purchase agreement. Lol.

I placed the order back in April. Since then, dealerships near me will not budge off markup or MSRP. =\

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t “need” a vehicle right now hold off. Let them sit on the lots. Gas will keep going up and there will be a glut of SUV’s for the picking with big discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish this was illegal. It’s unethical at least.

but it’s people who do not walk away because they have to have it now, that affect the rest of us!

Why is it unethical? If people are lined up willing to pay it then the price is obviously too low. That's just business. Don't take what I said the wrong way, I didn't say I like it or agree with it. You're right that it will affect the rest of us because now the manufacturers know people will pay more than full price so don't expect to see many cheap cars down the road and don't expect full dealer lots either.

WaHooWa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered my vehicle at supplier pricing, before they jacked the prices up by $5K! I got a 2WD Denali for $80.6K in preliminary. Man I hope they don’t screw me over when it’s built and I get a purchase agreement. Lol.

I placed the order back in April. Since then, dealerships near me will not budge off markup or MSRP. =\

I posted this in another thread, I’m in a similar situation:
I ordered an AT4 in April and the dealer was offering $3,000 off msrp. They agreed to give me that along with the first responder discount. They contacted me today, the vehicle comes in this week, and told me GM is not doing supplier pricing and they would only do $1,500 off msrp. I asked to speak to the general manager but instead the finance manger called me back and said they’d give me $3,000 off plus an additional $500 off because that’s what the first responder discount is at. I also have a supplier code but they refused to do take that. I understand the supply and demand issue at this time but I would have bought one off the lot a month and a half ago if I knew they we’re going to change the price on me. Unfortunately I didn’t have anything in writing and I think I’m still getting a decent deal.