Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
I do not have a supplier code. What happened was...

Let me give you a friendly warning, your deal on the agreed pricing based on supplier code will falter unless you provide them a supplier code at the paperwork time. That's the rule, no gaming around it. Your sales person may have agreed to the supplier price, but he/she is assuming you 'qualify' for supplier price and will provide a code when time comes.

Check this portal for more details on supplier program, https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/

And one needs to submit a proof of supplier (not just an auth code), usually your paystub showing you're employed by a company who is a supplier in GM's book or your employer's badge with your picture and company logo etc. There is no bending of these rules for supplier, at least in my experience of having used it couple of times now.

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/content/pdf/sup/GM-Rules-Supplier-Discount.pdf

Last edited:

Gmo79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty sure the dealers are getting all the benefits here.
Except for the fact their inventories are low- so while they are making more per unit, they are selling less. Once the shortage is over, prices will come down.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except for the fact their inventories are low- so while they are making more per unit, they are selling less. Once the shortage is over, prices will come down.
Deflation is certainly a possibility, but the world is also changed now. I think the best way to look at things these days is that there's a new pricing model in effect for a long time to come. Opinion only, of course.

Edit: I mean for everything. Not just cars.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deflation is certainly a possibility, but the world is also changed now. I think the best way to look at things these days is that there's a new pricing model in effect for a long time to come. Opinion only, of course.

Edit: I mean for everything. Not just cars.

Agreed, I said this earlier…. People didn’t like it, and fo fooed it…

But I do believe the paradigm has shifted. There will be less vehicles built for inventory and you won’t have tons of choices sitting on the lot waiting to be Dickered over. Unless it’s a Chevy Cruz or a stripped model that they mass produce, there won’t be any dickering or five or 10% off the sticker anymore…. If it’s a hot ticket, or something that’s highly in demand it’s going to be sticker price or above, ordering it or taking it off a lot.…

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But I do believe the paradigm has shifted. There will be less vehicles built for inventory and you won’t have tons of choices sitting on the lot waiting to be Dickered over. Unless it’s a Chevy Cruz or a stripped model that they mass produce, there won’t be any dickering or five or 10% off the sticker anymore…. If it’s a hot ticket, or something that’s highly in demand it’s going to be sticker price or above, ordering it or taking it off a lot.…

I don't know but trends change when it seems the current trend will continue unabated. I thought trucks were in shortage but I'm seeing a $3,000 customer cash offering. Wait till gasoline reaches $3.79 a gallon which is less than the 52% increase for this past year. When everyone sees the cost of living sky rocket they may not want lay down $70,000 for a new vehicle then it will be a buyers market.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious just how much gas prices affect SUV and truck demand. I'm sure the graphs are out there, though. If wifey X wants a new SUV at $70k, is a tank of gas going to be that much difference at $2.69 vs $4.00? Especially when gas is one of those things that can and does increase and decrease, rather than staying at one place for too long. And large vehicles are steadily getting more fuel efficient (but you'd better buy an extended warranty if you plan to keep them).

At a large capacity tank a week that's around $200 a month difference from $2.69 to $4. Hardly much money if you can buy a $60-$70k SUV. Add in the supreme influence of social media and the ability to post about your expensive new car I'd speculate gas prices won't matter much for sales unless the price per gallon reaches Mad Max levels.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The number one thing that drove gas prices down about a year ago was a lack of demand worldwide. That was a pandemic aberration that won’t happen again. (?)Three bucks a gallon is going to be normal going forward and possibly higher, certainly not out of the question.
Life is coming back, demand is coming back, And most people that have worked at home for a year and/or have invested wisely in the stock market are sitting on huge piles of cash. They bought this vehicle because they needed it for a specific reason. 4.00+ gas won’t phase them.
I certainly agree that things are cyclical and things may rise and fall again, but auto makers are getting smarter, they are not over producing to glut the market anymore. They will tailor it to create slight shortages, keep demand up and thus prices up.
I didn’t buy a Dmax because I couldn’t afford 4.00 gas… I wanted it….

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I respectfully completely disagree. This isn't about a paradigm shift. As soon as parts, plants and manufacturing lines return to normal, we will ABSOLUTELY see overflowing lots and $5k+ manufacture rebates and $10k off MSRP "Truck Months" again. It might take a year or so but this is a relatively short term supply chain issue.

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me give you a friendly warning, your deal on the agreed pricing based on supplier code will falter unless you provide them a supplier code at the paperwork time. That's the rule, no gaming around it. Your sales person may have agreed to the supplier price, but he/she is assuming you 'qualify' for supplier price and will provide a code when time comes.

Check this portal for more details on supplier program, https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/

And one needs to submit a proof of supplier (not just an auth code), usually your paystub showing you're employed by a company who is a supplier in GM's book or your employer's badge with your picture and company logo etc. There is no bending of these rules for supplier, at least in my experience of having used it couple of times now.

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/content/pdf/sup/GM-Rules-Supplier-Discount.pdf

Oh I have one. ;)

I have someone in the family that can provide me with one. I just wanted to try and do it on my own and not use them for it. But looks like that’s not an option.

However there actually are no technology packages available, so I am holding off until available. One of the main reasons why I wanted that car - the technology package. May be a 22.

at least since my previous comment the sales guy and I got it all figured out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn