Price Gouging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

playadude

Reaction score
As an aside, my Chevy dealer said that OEMs have taken notice that vehicle transaction prices have increased substantially with limited manufacturer incentives and that we should not expect inventory levels to return to the overstocked levels that we have seen for the past 30 years or so. He predicts that there will be more special ordering in the future, which will significantly reduce the need for dealer discounts and manufacturer incentives.

I said this a few months ago and was roundly foo fooed, and that soon vehicle lots would flooded with choices and 5-10K discounts again... Still believe that? I don't and think MSRP { or above} or Highway will be the future standard on these vehicles...
I wondered about this, if there are thousands of built vehicles (especially trucks) sitting around. Do you think they will let them out the door as 2022's once they have the parts they need?

Or, will they all hit the lots as 2021's.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered about this, if there are thousands of built vehicles (especially trucks) sitting around. Do you think they will let them out the door as 2022's once they have the parts they need?

Or, will they all hit the lots as 2021's.
The Vin assignment on the line designates the year, so no matter how long it has sit, it will always be what year the vin dictated it to be. Back in the old days, this wasn't the case... You would find cars 2 years old sold and titled as 1937 chevy etc... I have seen 1954 trucks titled originally as 56 trucks matching vin from dealers... The vin changes in the 80s did alot for adding things like year and motor etc into vins... But thats enough about that crap...

On to the price gouging and market bs... I too have heard Ford doing the push for more orders less inventory sitting around... But that is a dumb idea but so was a electric 4 door mustang... Maybe they are just that dumb...

I think MSRP is going to be alot higher on the 2022 stuff, then you will see some incentives come after things get back to normal... So New MSRP minus incentive will equal about what current MSRP is... That's my speculation. I really thing the GM dominance on the Full size SUV market is about to really have a hard time due to one Jeep coming out... Wagoneer.... Its got better style, more stuff, and will put a hurting on GM if they continue to go up in prices.

I have sat in a 21 Yukon, just was not impressed what 85k would get me... After hearing some major engine issues with the most recent gas motors, its looking like the all new Baby Duramax is probably the only dependable one from the get go.

End of the day... I think we are at a huge fork in the road, the used market will either Tank hard... or will stay up and depreciate less aggressive than it has in the past... I think if the market stays up, lumber stays up, housing market still booms, minimum wage increases as we are seeing the labor shortage everywhere, then we watched 6 month inflation that would normally take 10 years to happen decimate our worth of our dollar...

I have extended this offer to many people on here, I know the dealers around Houston offer deals and incentives and some dealers like the dodge dealer a buddy works at discount vehicles still and are rolling vehicles at a crazy rate... If anyone needs to be picked up from the airport and needs a ride to a dealer to buy here in the greater Houston area, let me know and I can pick you up...

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got quoted $33,000 over MSRP for and Escalade sport. Talk about ridiculousness.
Is anyone actually going to pay that? I would think those with the means to purchase a Cadillac Escalade already have more cars than they truly need.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, my ol' solid running 2012 is looking better and better with the current offerings and the market. At these prices I can afford to rebuild her several times over and have a better vehicle than anything government mandated rolling off the assembly line today.

playadude

Reaction score
The Vin assignment on the line designates the year, so no matter how long it has sit, it will always be what year the vin dictated it to be. Back in the old days, this wasn't the case... You would find cars 2 years old sold and titled as 1937 chevy etc... I have seen 1954 trucks titled originally as 56 trucks matching vin from dealers... The vin changes in the 80s did alot for adding things like year and motor etc into vins... But thats enough about that crap...

On to the price gouging and market bs... I too have heard Ford doing the push for more orders less inventory sitting around... But that is a dumb idea but so was a electric 4 door mustang... Maybe they are just that dumb...

I think MSRP is going to be alot higher on the 2022 stuff, then you will see some incentives come after things get back to normal... So New MSRP minus incentive will equal about what current MSRP is... That's my speculation. I really thing the GM dominance on the Full size SUV market is about to really have a hard time due to one Jeep coming out... Wagoneer.... Its got better style, more stuff, and will put a hurting on GM if they continue to go up in prices.

I have sat in a 21 Yukon, just was not impressed what 85k would get me... After hearing some major engine issues with the most recent gas motors, its looking like the all new Baby Duramax is probably the only dependable one from the get go.

End of the day... I think we are at a huge fork in the road, the used market will either Tank hard... or will stay up and depreciate less aggressive than it has in the past... I think if the market stays up, lumber stays up, housing market still booms, minimum wage increases as we are seeing the labor shortage everywhere, then we watched 6 month inflation that would normally take 10 years to happen decimate our worth of our dollar...

I have extended this offer to many people on here, I know the dealers around Houston offer deals and incentives and some dealers like the dodge dealer a buddy works at discount vehicles still and are rolling vehicles at a crazy rate... If anyone needs to be picked up from the airport and needs a ride to a dealer to buy here in the greater Houston area, let me know and I can pick you up...
I like your take on the market. I agree Duramax is the only way to go with the 2021 Tahoe. I love it. (I bought a base LS model).

BTW Gideon/Very Dark Atmosphere with Graywood Metallic looks awesome in person. (that's what I have)

Last edited:

DaveB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's one reason NOT to wait for a 2022. GM could easily raise base prices 2-3K and still be sold out. There won't be any material changes to the 2022's. Things could get better... But they could go higher too !
Today I went to a Caddy dealer in Tustin, CA to see about getting a drive in a newer unit (my 2008 Denali XL getting long in the tooth...). The first vehicle we came across was a Platinum edition Escalade with 200 miles (USED Vehicle) and they were only charging $30k over the $100k sticker. Yes, that was not a typo. Apparently they drove it all the way to San Diego to give to the owner, the next day he changed his mind and gave it back. Or maybe the wife discovered the additional markup he paid and gave it back. They have one other Premium unit they are only asking $10k over for. He says you can order a new unit for only $5k > $10k over but it might take a year.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember last fall that if you paid MSRP... You were crazy... Nobody pays MSRP on these vehicles....Tell them to pound sand!

Fast forward 9-12 months...If you got one at MSRP you were lucky!

I believe there is a great pricing reset on big ticket items. Homes, cars, etc.... Prices will fall back a limited amount as stocks normalize ( Not anytime soon...) but they will never go back to the say 2018-2019 era of here is what I'll offer you.... It's gonna be more like Here's what you'll pay.....

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Inflation will come back down once our corrupt gov’t bankrupts the federal reserve and their new digital banking system fails....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn