pretty sure my motor in pinging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It most definitely could be the gas. We find more crappy gas than we do good gas, even at the well known "quality" gas stations. Try a different station and see if you get the same results.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
im pretty certain it is coming from the number 2 plug on the passenger side... however, what do i do if it is in fact stripped on the heads? now i am scared!!!

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, dont freak out if you stripped the plug hole, just shove a HeliCoil in it and call it a day. Just fyi, ive changed plugs on aluminum heads and do the whole turn till its snug then 1/4 more for good measure.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I bet it's the fuel, I had a bad tank awhile back shit pinged like crazy I just added some sea foam and filled her up with some legit 91 from costco. No more ping, happy truck. I sincerely doubt you stripped a plug that shit is damn near impossible if you take your time and start em by hand (which you should be doing regardless).

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
You can rent tools from most auto parts stores, or borrow them while in the parking lot.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
it stopped... I tightened the plug in question and it seemed to get rid of the problem. I also gassed up in north scottsdale. Thats the rich snob part of town where gas is more expensive but they go through more premium so i know i am getting fresh legitimate premium.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it stopped... I tightened the plug in question and it seemed to get rid of the problem. I also gassed up in north scottsdale. Thats the rich snob part of town where gas is more expensive but they go through more premium so i know i am getting fresh legitimate premium.

rich snob gas for the win!!!:favorites37:

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to heli-coil the head... Same thing happened on my 2001 Lightning. Launched a plug out of the head.

-E

Is that a typical Ford thing?

(I heard about this happening a lot on Excursions/Expeditions)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo