pretty sure my motor in pinging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a reg set, but be careful and don't overtighten because the heads are aluminum and will strip easier.

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
heres a really dumb question but are you sure its not valve tick? idk... but if you are getting constant detonation your knock sensors should pick them up and give you a service engine soon light. or have u felt any loss of power like if the computer had mess with timing?

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
i suppose it could be valve click, like i said in the beginning, i am not sure what the noise is to be exact... just based on what it sounds like and where it is coming from i have tried to narrow down my options.

as for a loss in power, that is also hard to say... i think my truck is dogging, i have been telling my girlfriend for weeks now... however at WOT I think the truck is running the same as always....

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
unfortunatly i had finals this weekend so i wasnt able to get under the hood at all!

The noise is still clearly there after adding octane boost and new fuel... im am starting to think it is not pinging and possibly something else! It does seem to get louder with throttle though... its hard to tell at WOT though because the magnaflow just drowns out all other noises.

Im at witts end with this shit! I ******* hate not know what weird noises are in vehicle! Im about to drop dollas and take it to a shop :cry:

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
well i popped the hood at work before i headed home and i started to poke around a little bit with my hands.... the number 2 plugg/wire on the passenger side is kicking out some air in the same sequence as the click.

No other plug/wire is doing it.

I am letting the motor cool right now and i am going to try the simple fix.... tighten the plugg. Hope it fixes the problem but the weird thing of it is, i have had problems with that exact same plug before. That plug shimmied its way loose right after i put the plugs in and i just chalked it up to not seating the plug good enough. That also happens to be the same plug that was not seated well to the OEM wires...

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i popped the hood at work before i headed home and i started to poke around a little bit with my hands.... the number 2 plugg/wire on the passenger side is kicking out some air in the same sequence as the click.

No other plug/wire is doing it.

I am letting the motor cool right now and i am going to try the simple fix.... tighten the plugg. Hope it fixes the problem but the weird thing of it is, i have had problems with that exact same plug before. That plug shimmied its way loose right after i put the plugs in and i just chalked it up to not seating the plug good enough. That also happens to be the same plug that was not seated well to the OEM wires...

Plugs shouldn't mysteriously loosen up. For your sake I hope that plug hole isn't stripped.

Are you torquing the plugs down to spec? Also you may just want to get a new plug if it uses those ring seats as they might be crushed too much now and not sealing properly.

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
yea its best if u get a new plugs or plug. has any1 heard your motor? check with some1 that knows a lil bit more about it.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
if you recall... i dont have a torque wrench, so the short answer is no, i do not torque the plugs to spec as i havent the correct tools for it.

However, I have changed many a spark plug in my life and never had an issue doing it the way i always do. You do raise a good point though. I also hope the threads on the block as not stripped out, i will cry a million times over if that is the case.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you recall... i dont have a torque wrench, so the short answer is no, i do not torque the plugs to spec as i havent the correct tools for it.

However, I have changed many a spark plug in my life and never had an issue doing it the way i always do. You do raise a good point though. I also hope the threads on the block as not stripped out, i will cry a million times over if that is the case.

You can get a Craftsman 3/8" torque wrench for like $80. ;)

I've changed many a spark plug myself (for 20+ years) and the only time I've ever used a torque wrench was on aluminum heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia