pretty sure my motor in pinging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
if you seafoam "regularly" you should also change your plugs regularly. you're supposed to change your plugs after seafoaming. i think that seafoam is loosening up carbon build up, depositing that shit on your plugs, and giving you a poor spark.

this is interesting... Does the seafoam bottle mention that about the plugS? I am going to pull some pluggs in a few hours when the motor is good and cold and if they are weird lookin i will take some pics

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for plugs, its kind of hard to determine just from looking at them BUT tell tale signs are: Brown is a good mixture, while is lean as hell, and black is of course rich as hell. I'll see if I can dig up an old link of plugs I used back in the day.

-E

That's a good description actually. I had a motor running lean once on one cylinder and the plug looked almost brand new (insulator was bright white) when compared to all the other ones which were slightly brown.

You should still be able to "read" the plug regardless of mileage.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody thought about it needing new exhaust manifold gaskets or maybe a loose bolt or 2 cause exhaust to escape around the gasket? Just a thought!

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riviera brought up a good point. Leaking exhaust gaskets make a ticking sound. Pinging usually happens under load, not idle. Check the exhaust manifold bolts. It's not uncommon for the rear bolt heads to break off and cause an exhaust leak, especially around #7 and 8 for some reason. I've seen it on a few 5.3 and 6.0 LSx truck motors.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easy for some to confuse a pinging with an exhaust leak if they have never really heard a car really have a pinging problem, not saying either is the case in this truck since we can't hear it in person! As for hearing an exhaust leak at an idle, you haven't heard my '74 K-5 blazer!!:)
It's really hard sometimes to diagnose an automatic vehicle that is has a pinging problem, with a stick shift you can easily bog a vehicle up a hill in the wrong gear to hear the pinging, but if you know what you are listening to it can be possible in an automatic, just harder!

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Pinging often times sounds like someone tapping a screw driver on a thin can really fast (depending on engine speed), kinda!! It's just sooooo hard to explain on here, easier in person!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, did you say that you have headers on your truck? If so I would now bet that is exactly (well 90% sure, still not there in person:)) what your problem is, just needing new exhaust gaskets!

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
a few weeks back i took my truck into the dealer for some warranty work and told them that i thought there was a leak at the gasket or intake manifold. They said no... however they also said my front suspension is fine and it is making the most horrible noises up front, so i am not sure how well they did on my truck. I dont have a torque wrench, what do you guys think about torquing these exhaust bolts without one?

oh yea, no header here... not yet... its next on the list

******* blows, I have two finals due this weekend so no time to wrench on the truck, maybe i will stay up all day and night today and get em done so i can tinker tomorrow.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
dont give up on my now guys.... i know your busy JK...

But i gotta know if using any old socket set is cool on my manifold or if i NEED a torque wrench (of which i dont have right now and hopefully dont want to buy for a little while yet)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn