PPV Front and Rear Coil Spring Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sway bars have nothing to do with nose dive, and the only time it doesn't add stiffness is when going straight down the road and both wheels hit the same bump. When cornering they add a lot of spring stiffness which is how they resist body roll. I drove my PPV for several days after I got it thinking it rode pretty good, until I noticed on front sway bar end link was missing. Definitely noticed a much rougher ride after connecting it back up. Cornering improved though, but not the ride. Big front rear sway bars also make the whole chassis shudder on bumpy roads trying to twist the whole truck. On one wheel bumps not only is the spring/shock getting compressed it is also trying to twist the sway bar adding spring rate to that corner.
I disagree completely. I upgraded my swaybars to DJM from stock Denali's and the new ones are much heavier. The ride is exactly the same however cornering is nearly completely flat and nosedive under heavy braking is nearly nonexistent. I've upgraded swaydars on many vehicles throughout the years and the result has been the same. Its what they're meant to do. But if you want to disconnect your front swaybar completely by removing the endlinks, that's not the same as comparing a smaller swaybar to a bigger one.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of doing this also and have already done the rear. Rides like a diffirent suv. Much more comfy but didn’t loose much handling.
I agree with the handling, but know I did sacrifice a lot of handling with my tire choice. I didn't have an issue giving up the higher speed rated tire though, not when seeking better ride comfort and mileage from the tires. It's definitely all in what you want out of it, but with the Belltech setup I got from @NORCAL SS you really can still the best of all 3 worlds combined (looks, ride, handling). Tony hasn't steering me wrong (pun not intentional) with any of my Trailblazer SS's over the years, so when he recommended this kit for my PPV I didn't think twice....and I am definitely a happy customer.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree completely. I upgraded my swaybars to DJM from stock Denali's and the new ones are much heavier. The ride is exactly the same however cornering is nearly completely flat and nosedive under heavy braking is nearly nonexistent. I've upgraded swaydars on many vehicles throughout the years and the result has been the same. Its what they're meant to do. But if you want to disconnect your front swaybar completely by removing the endlinks, that's not the same as comparing a smaller swaybar to a bigger one.
I don't want to argue, but I would like to hear an explanation as to how a front sway bar could possibly resists nose dive, when anti-dive geometry is only designed into the suspension pivot points. Spring/shocks have some effect, but not the sway bar.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another contributor to the roughness is the jounce pads out back.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
I agree with the handling, but know I did sacrifice a lot of handling with my tire choice. I didn't have an issue giving up the higher speed rated tire though, not when seeking better ride comfort and mileage from the tires. It's definitely all in what you want out of it, but with the Belltech setup I got from @NORCAL SS you really can still the best of all 3 worlds combined (looks, ride, handling). Tony hasn't steering me wrong (pun not intentional) with any of my Trailblazer SS's over the years, so when he recommended this kit for my PPV I didn't think twice....and I am definitely a happy customer.

Did you have to replace any other suspension parts to get that Belltech Kit installed? Ive heard nothing but good things about all Belltech Products. I have lowered every single car Ive ever owned and I promised myself I would not do it to the Tahoe because I wanted a 4x4 fun truck for the winter, this isn't going to be a daily driver in the summer months, my HHR SS is quite fast and gets twice the MPG of my Tahoe.

With that in mind, how far did the BT drop your car from PPV height? Could you take a few measurements on ground clearance for me?

1) Closest body part to ground, and how much clearance (in inches or something)
2) Height of the front door handles from the ground.
3) front and rear clearance (from the lowest part on each end)

Thanks a lot, I think your Tahoe looks amazing, I really love that gray metallic color and the BT springs/suspension make it look even more sick!

Happy Turkey Day!

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone confirm that the front and rear sway bars played a role in the stiffness of the ride comfort? I know the PPV sway bars are heavy duty vs. the civilian models and designed for better cornering.

I just ordered Eibach 2” drop rear springs to see if it helps with my harsh ride as others have mentioned with the Belltech brand. I already changed all shocks/struts with Belltech Street Performance and made very little difference.

Oh, Eibach is closing out production of their springs for 07-2014 Tahoe/yukons and fire selling them. They already sold out on the fronts but still have the rears. Check out their website.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Look if you wanted a great ride you should have bought a civilian model. These ppv's are just that. They were made to be pursuit vehicles. They were built with race track suspension to help give that big vehicle an edge over the civilian vehicles. If they need to keep up with a Corvette or other cars that huge the road they can. If you want a nice ride , find a ssv. They are more like a civilian tahoe. I know you can get the ppv's cheap but it would take a lot of money to make them ride like a civilian model. Then when you do that you are taking away from what a ppv is. What's that? A bad mother f@#$er on the road. Just my opinion, so I'm ready for the hate.

73TA

Reaction score
Old thread that I am glad that was revived. Always wondered what the spring height length difference was between the two models.

Mike

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look if you wanted a great ride you should have bought a civilian model. These ppv's are just that. They were made to be pursuit vehicles. They were built with race track suspension to help give that big vehicle an edge over the civilian vehicles. If they need to keep up with a Corvette or other cars that huge the road they can. If you want a nice ride , find a ssv. They are more like a civilian tahoe. I know you can get the ppv's cheap but it would take a lot of money to make them ride like a civilian model. Then when you do that you are taking away from what a ppv is. What's that? A bad mother f@#$er on the road. Just my opinion, so I'm ready for the hate.

Just a simple question on the sway bars. Purchased Eibach rear 2” drop springs. Hope to get to them next weekend and take photos of the different in size and what note.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They handle well for their size (compared to other common SUV’s) but they’re still quite slow and sluggish. You’re not catching a vette or anything remotely quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17