Possible trade my truck for an Envoy...What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, Ive been considering dumping my 99 Yukon and getting into something newer. There are several issues bothering me. Rust is one of them, and the fact that after all my mods I just got to the level of an OEM 5.3l, and it drives like a full size 12year old truck.

I kinda decided on the upgrade being a Yukon XL or a TrailVoy EXT/XL.
I'm not in a hurry to move up, and I have a strong list of requirements for my next truck. Those requirments are;
- 05 or newer
- 100k kms or less (62k miles or less)
- 5.3l
- 7 passenger
- an upgraded interiour package
- sunroof/dvd package
- no rust
- under $10k

Trust me that's a tall order up here. I"ve been searching all of Ontario for months now. I"ve even managed rss search feeds into my phone of the various auto vendor networks. carpages.ca, kijiji.ca, autotrader.ca, etc.

Finally this morning one came up, and it was from a local dealership. The same one that I bought my wife's trailblazer from. So I went out and looked at it. I'm in love!

It's an 06 Envoy Denali. Nice red color. Everything works on it. 123k kms (76k miles). The Xl version. 5.3l. Most everything on my checklist is ticked off.

I knocked him down $4k off the asking price. I've got him down to $11k for it. Plus another $2k for the two year unlimited kms Lubrico warranty. So after taxes it's $15k.

There are two things wrong.. It's a bit higher kms than I wanted, and it's over $10k.. Anything over $10k and I"m borrowing. I prefer to just write the cheque and be done with it, but I will end up borrowing to get this one, and that kinda sucks.

Which brings me to my Yukon. I was planning on keeping it. Maybe turning it into some sort of off-road buggy? But it's too big and heavy for that.
So I may be into selling it. If I can get $5k for it, then I don't have to borrow that for the Envoy.

In my mind, I'm already modding the 5.3l.....

Sorry for the rant. I don't know what to do.... other than everyday I'm becomming more and more disillusioned with my truck....

So I come here, bare my soul and ask for advice....
What should I do?

Last edited:

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Get into a 2 door tahoe. Best truck on the planet. Started with that moved to a 2010 RCSB with a 5.3L and the 6spd 6L80e 4wd. Then to a 96' RCSB Z71 5.7L vortec. Now I'm moving back to my 2 door in the process of a 6.0L swap built 4l60e tranny 14 bolt sf rebuilt front and rear axles 4.10 gears 35x12.50x17's new flooring nbs dash swap paint job. And I'm still way under what your about to spend.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice ride but those just don't have enough cargo space once you have it filled with people. That'd be my only complaint though :)

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my buddy bruce just sold his 2000 tahoe for a trailblazer and he is not happy mind you he got the 6 cyl for gas reasons but hes not all to happy he said it doenst feel as sturdy or feel as safe in it says it sits too low and doesnt have the a$$ his tahoe did hes in the process of trien to get out of it and back into a FS SUV

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
I definitely think better to stay too big then not big enough. I went from a Grand Cherokee with a 5.9L to a 99 Hoe and would never look back again. My Jeep was nice had everything done that I wanted but I needed space.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea theres absolutly nothing wrong with smaller SUVs except there not Tahoes

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the common issue here is the going smaller.
And your all right.

My wife and I thought of that while we were test driving it.
She asked what vehicle would we go to Newfoundland again in if we didn't have the bigger Yukon. The GMT360 platform when loaded up with kids, dogs and luggage may be too small for cross country traveling.
However, I only do that every few years. I Daily Drive this rig and don't need all that space for everyday use.

So my answer to her and you guys is that on long cross country trips, I could pull along the camper trailer. That would solve the space problems.

In the end, I/we decided that giving up the space wasn't a really big deal after all.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

... he said it doenst feel as sturdy or feel as safe in it says it sits too low and doesnt have the a$$ his tahoe did...

I agree that the 4.2l sucks ass compared to a v8. It has nothing until you wind it up. I test drove the 5.3l version and the damned traction control kept comming on when I stomped on it! That's nice. That means there is some TQ's in there, it's just begging to be modded and unleashed.

It does sit low. But I disagree about sturdy and safe. The steering and brakes are multiple times better. And it's a 6400lbs body on full frame monster too. It just drives sooooo much nicer...and with the v8 it pulls like I'm used to too.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did you pull the trigger then?

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet, I'm waiting for input from my Dad. He's old and in bed already, so I'll call him in the morning. Besides I'll probably be 'borrowing' from him anyways... Ha.. It's handy having the 'bank of Dad', but I still dislike the act of borrowing.

I did put my TRUCK up for sale tonight though. If it sells quickly enough, I won't need the bank of Dad....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts