"New" truck- What to do first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNW_IT_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 Yukon SLT 4x4 with 181k miles. What should my top priorities be for maintenance and even mods? I'm out-voted on getting a lift, and we'd like the best gas mileage possible.

The truck came with a load of service records, so it was well cared for. It had the transmission and gear boxes serviced less than 8,000 miles ago and the oil looks great too.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Congrats, welcome from SoCal. You get standard or the XL?

That’s great they serviced the drive mechanicals. The to do list should verify both battery cables have been replaced. That ensures any future codes that come up are not bogus.

Heater hoses are the other thing that disintegrate when bumped. Find GM OEM online. You’ll save 40-50% off the dealers pricing. My Indi tech had to do both with dealer parts and it was $4h for those little suckers, labor & coolant.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

Glad that good reasoning won out and you are not lifting. That also would have contributed to poor fuel mileage.

Yes, pics would be nice.

I agree with @petethepug on the cables and hoses. I am a fan of all fluids changed but you have service records but only said the transmission and gear boxes were done recently. How about transfer case, coolant, power steering and brake fluid?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should my top priorities be for maintenance and even mods? ...
... truck came with a load of service records, so it was well cared for.
Answer this question by looking at the records until you figure out what's been neglected / delayed / missing.

If nothing comes to mind, never a bad idea to address the rear cooling system, especially those quick-connects.
They sure don't disconnect quickly - but they tend to fail all of a sudden though.

OP
OP
P

PNW_IT_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome everyone! She's a dirty girl right now, so all I've got is a pic from the dealer's listing. I'll get her cleaned up and take my own pics soon. SmartSelect_20240113_112232_Chrome.jpg
I didn't notice any mention of the battery cables or hoses. Other than my less than expert visual inspection (which says they look okay) is there any way to tell if they're old/ bad? The alternator was definitely changed recently. It's shiny in a dirty engine bay and puts out >14 volts.

Yes, to the transfer case, coolant, and brake fluid being changed at some point in the past 60k. I'd have to look again about the power steering fluid.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Rich color. GM didn’t do too many of the red & blue trucks. The batt cables rot from inside out. Like a pretty Apple, there’s gremlins inside waiting to ruin your day with bogus DTC codes or a mouth full of worms.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts