"New" truck- What to do first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 Yukon SLT 4x4 with 181k miles. What should my top priorities be for maintenance and even mods? I'm out-voted on getting a lift, and we'd like the best gas mileage possible.

The truck came with a load of service records, so it was well cared for. It had the transmission and gear boxes serviced less than 8,000 miles ago and the oil looks great too.
Make certain it has the updated driverside valve cover, or it will consume oil, stick the piston rings, foul spark plugs, etc. Ask me how I know:(
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

OP
OP
P

PNW_IT_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make certain it has the updated driverside valve cover, or it will consume oil, stick the piston rings, foul spark plugs, etc. Ask me how I know:(
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63/cec66346-04c1-48e0-98a6-74c35af2c84e_2014+Engine+-+Oil+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pd
Thank you for letting me know! That's the exactly the kind of thing I wanted to find out. Well, I mean it's not that I wanted it to be true. Looking at your signature line I see that you have a 6.2L. Does the same issue plague the 5.3? If so, is there an easy way to tell by looking at the valve cover? Maybe a label with a part number?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know! That's the exactly the kind of thing I wanted to find out. Well, I mean it's not that I wanted it to be true. Looking at your signature line I see that you have a 6.2L. Does the same issue plague the 5.3? If so, is there an easy way to tell by looking at the valve cover? Maybe a label with a part number?
Read the TSB, yes it effects 5.3s
Here's a pic of my old original vc and my new updated vc. Notice the port on the rightside of each? Old has a roundess port and the new has a square a little future towards the end:
Yukon VCs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019