Poor AC performance - Heat turns on automatically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
the rear A/C is independent of the front A/C(blower and actuators ) controller wise..

Good to know.
My mother honestly doesnt care about rear AC.
So just focusing on the front for now.
I did witness that both temp actuators work fine.
I also covered up the right side gap, between enclosure and evap and I got a ton of cold air in the face. Felt great!

That got me to thinking - after looking at vids online, how to's showing the evap install, it seems like I have a much wider gap on both sides of the enclosure. Wondering if I may have the incorrect evap.

Ive also confirmed, after doing the AC reset again, that the selector actuator does fk all...
I think that, along with too much air getting around the evap is my issue.

View attachment 226977

View attachment 226978

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but knowing makes it easier to know if it's working correctly (the compressor)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trying to rule out the controller those things break sometimes (happened before) but in the photos there is some heavy damage that need to be repaired first

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
trying to rule out the controller those things break sometimes (happened before) but in the photos there is some heavy damage that need to be repaired first

I think youre onto something. So I patched up the box and did a much better job. Manually moved the selector to vents as shown here

Took it for a ride and now have super pressure. AC nice and cool, but not as cold as I like, but prob still enough to freeze my mother out. But on that ride I did get in and out, and one time I turned it on it was at 74*. When I shutdown it was set to 60*.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear AC helps keep the whole truck cool, even up front. The front doesn't have to work so hard to maintain the desired temp when the rear AC is on.

I had a problem in another car, it would overheat when the rear AC was turned off. As long as it was on, the car was fine and cooler. Did not have a scan tool in those days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas