Plasti diped rims…protect your chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fredbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just plasti dipped my rims in prep for the winter……..I do have winter rims but ran outta money this year for winter tires Soooo this is going have to do.

I have seen other trucks with plasti dip applied and when peeled off….(very east to do) the rims look as if there never saw winter roads.

I do like the look of the chrome better but like I said this was done to protect them

there are 4 coats of black and three coats of silver (but ti think the dealer got them mixed up looks more like gum metal to me)

anyways anyone else use this plaint?

Attachments

• yukon chrome.jpg
    yukon chrome.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • black rim .jpg
    black rim .jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 36
  • rim shot.jpg
    rim shot.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 36
  • finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 42
  • yukon black rims.jpg
    yukon black rims.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 38

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice setup. Even if it is purple. Good looking tires/wheels that fit the truck's height.

OP
OP
F

fredbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah it was on the truck when I bought it. I would have went a different color But i do gets LOTS of people saying they like it cause its not a normal color……dosnt really bother me much as I am color blind.

The truck was full of chrome….and euro style taillights handles and grill was all chrome….painted it all black yeah baby

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i am a veteran plasti dipper
if you really like the chrome look then do 4 coats of black then get the bright aluminum metalizer wich you only need 2 coats and itll look pretty close to chrome

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

and by silver do you mean silver metalizer that doesnt have as good of coverage as the bright aluminum metalizer
you can get metalizer at pepboys they have wide selection

OP
OP
F

fredbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes i am a veteran plasti dipper
if you really like the chrome look then do 4 coats of black then get the bright aluminum metalizer wich you only need 2 coats and itll look pretty close to chrome

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

and by silver do you mean silver metalizer that doesnt have as good of coverage as the bright aluminum metalizer
you can get metalizer at pepboys they have wide selection

yeah silver metalizer is what I ordered....but it didn't turn out like the do in the youtube vids. but then again it was pretty windy when I was doing it and was sad to see just how much was flying away....well live and learn always next year (which is great about this stuff you aways can have sumthing different)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah definatly cant be windy
but yeah the silver metalizer kinda sucks like i said if use the briight aluminum metalizer wich has complete coverage on the second coat doesnt matter what color you use as a base coat you could freakin you pink if you wanted

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 14

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude yer going to wait till next year i think the first time i plastidipped my rims i must have peeled it off and started over like 3 times in a week before iwas satisfied with the color
i must have wasted at least a 100 bucks worth of dip

OP
OP
F

fredbear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah….waiting, my daughter really likes the way it looks but I will be trying the bright aluminum next time

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just need a Vikings horn on the side of the truck and you are golden :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879