Planning to buy Supercharger for 07 5.3, need an advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he has the 4L60E type trans - 4 speed
There are some good builders of these (4L60/4L65/4L70) trans's
PATC does good ones. Performance Automatics, Etc
You don't need a high stall converter.. Just get it built to handle the power AND
the weight of our SUV's

Bill Marshalonis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the Maggi, and never had a cooling problem. But, the 4L60 trans went south in a month. I had the 4L60 built up to 4L65 specs with even better parts than the 4L65 specs. Since the trans needed rebuilding the cost to upgrade was worth it. No trans problems since. I have also installed smaller pulleys and increased boost and combustion temps; but I still did not have cooling problems.
I also installed a 14 bolt diff to prevent destroying the 10 bolt. I assumed that it was going to be the next to fail.
If you install a different speed trans, you will need a special trans controller; and it won't coordinate with the engine ECU.
F.Y.I. Running E 85 will reduce combustion temps.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the Magnuson kit. The prices have come down quite a bit and I’ve seen plenty of high mileage vehicles that had the supercharger on its whole life. If I’m ever able to do mine, I will definitely go with the Magnuson. The LSA kits are way too much money now because all the cheap core super chargers are gone and the rest of the kit has to be pieced together. Been there done that in the past and it was a reliability nightmare.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Maggie. I have had one on my 99 vette for the last 10+ years (75K miles) and haven't had a bit of trouble with the supercharger, stock bottom end or the 6-speed trans. And believe me, I drove this thing. Dozen or so runs down the 1/4 mile, lots of street 'fun' and multiple trips to the dyno to test changes/updates to the engine. I

I've driven it across several states and generally get around 20MPG on the freeway at 70'ish MPH. The first thing I'd check if you're getting poor gas mileage is the vacuum operated by-pass valve. It's designed to by-pass 'boost' (compressed air) when vacuum is high. I.e. low load on the engine. When you put your foot into it, vacuum drops and the by-pass closes allowing the SC to build boost.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven my Tahoe to the moon, and was thinking it would be nice to get some more power out of the 5.3. I figured I would need to have my trans beefed up, I have a source for that, a local guy used to blow up transmissions for a living just to see where the weak spot was and then improve on it. So I would go with him...

livinnmd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2012 Suburban Callaway which has the Eaton TVS super charger producing 450hp. I am getting 18mpg on the highway and 13 mpg ariund town. 91-93 octane is recommended.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I will go with Whipple because everyone says it's reliable. What transmission I need to maintain that supercharger?
If it’s a 4l60 I highly recommend www.Performabuilt.com and at least a level 3, rated for 800 hp. Their black edition is rated for 1000hp but you shouldn’t need that.