Picked up a z71...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BNK_ACCT

Reaction score
Isn't the shifter on the dash as buttons? I think I saw that somewhere.

Ya, next to the info tainment screen. Its very odd! You push for park, pull for drive and reverse. Its very strange getting used to it. The e brake is noW electronic also, so of course, another button for that on the left side of the wheel. What is nice, you can put it in drive or reverse, tap the gas and e brake will release on its own. And now that I say that out loud, it actually seems like it could be safety concern, hahaha.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, next to the info tainment screen. Its very odd! You push for park, pull for drive and reverse. Its very strange getting used to it. The e brake is no electronic also, so of course, another button for that on the left side of the wheel. What is nice, you can put it in drive or reverse, tap the gas and e brake will release on its own. And now that I say that out loud, it actually seems like it could be safety concern, hahaha.
Lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, black wheels and can you or would you smoke out the Z71. I would if I could.

Stealth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
B

BNK_ACCT

Reaction score
I miss the factory blacked out look of our 18z71 midnight, esp with the black stock wheels and meaty duratracs. The z71 on the fender, my thought was to do a black inlay on the "71" part, so it has some contrast to it. My hope is the aftermarket takes off with the new body style, as it always does with gm vehicles.

gwade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you post some thoughts on how the performance is given the heavier weight and only the 5.3L engine? I am really struggling with wanting the 6.2L...and therefore are shoehorned into the top trim levels, but I'd like to hear from others in real world driving / performance. I really like the look of the AT4 GMC, but the 5.3 is holding me back. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BNK_ACCT

Reaction score
Can you post some thoughts on how the performance is given the heavier weight and only the 5.3L engine? I am really struggling with wanting the 6.2L...and therefore are shoehorned into the top trim levels, but I'd like to hear from others in real world driving / performance. I really like the look of the AT4 GMC, but the 5.3 is holding me back. Thanks.

For me, I did not think twice on the 5.3, as it performed great in our prev generation,however shifts were laggy with the prev 6speed,and it always seemed to need time to process its next move. I have towed with it many times, even to Chicago and back with an impala ss on the back. NOW, in regards to the new tahoe. This 10speed transmission is INCREDIBLE, the instant power, 0 lag in shifts and just over all smoothness is night and day. We played with the idea of a trail boss 6.2, considering it has all the same luxuries as the tahoe,bigger motor and is almost 10k less,but in the end, we already have a super duty at home. Depending on what your intentions are, the 10speed transmission, with the tow package (in our case) has instant power delivery and is silky smooth!

sd172

Reaction score
For me, I did not think twice on the 5.3, as it performed great in our prev generation,however shifts were laggy with the prev 6speed,and it always seemed to need time to process its next move. I have towed with it many times, even to Chicago and back with an impala ss on the back. NOW, in regards to the new tahoe. This 10speed transmission is INCREDIBLE, the instant power, 0 lag in shifts and just over all smoothness is night and day. We played with the idea of a trail boss 6.2, considering it has all the same luxuries as the tahoe,bigger motor and is almost 10k less,but in the end, we already have a super duty at home. Depending on what your intentions are, the 10speed transmission, with the tow package (in our case) has instant power delivery and is silky smooth!

Congrats on your new truck!
Good to hear thar the new 10 speed is performing. How is the cargo area height (!) compared to the 18? I have a rather tall Great Dane who rides exclusively in the trunk and I’m tired of cleaning his hair off the ceiling.

OP
OP
B

BNK_ACCT

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck!
Good to hear thar the new 10 speed is performing. How is the cargo area height (!) compared to the 18? I have a rather tall Great Dane who rides exclusively in the trunk and I’m tired of cleaning his hair off the ceiling.

Height inside is, or at least feels about the same as the 18. Its the width and length that feels WAAAAY bigger. It almost feels like my 19 super duty inside. One thing you may not like, with dog hair concerns, and something I have not seen mentioned, from the windows up is now black inside, not the old light grey.Personally, makes me love the inside that much more over the 18, however, I am sure light colored dog hair will be an issue, one I am not looking forward to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes