Picked up a ClayBar kit today. Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
"350Vortec"

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
I washed with Dawn today, Clayed it, then waxed it. It came out pretty good. Brought back a bit more shine. Not to bad. Not exactly what i thought but still better.

nc6600

ps trucks in drive
Reaction score
I washed with Dawn today, Clayed it, then waxed it. It came out pretty good. Brought back a bit more shine. Not to bad. Not exactly what i thought but still better.
Make sure to re-wash the truck after claying as well.

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
damn, you're supposed to wash the truck again after claying?

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
damn, you're supposed to wash the truck again after claying?

that's why i wash and clay as i go...it helps to skp a step and works the same. i even drop the clay bar into the soapy water and just use the dawn soapy water to "grease" the bar instead of using qd.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoops, i clayed mine and then waxed right after. did i eff it up?

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
No you didnt mess it up, i do it all the time, i would only wash it after you claying if you removed alot of crap off the paint. My paint was already smooth to begin with but i still clay and then wax anyway

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best claying tip i have used yet. Learned from a guy who has been detailing for most of his life. Instead of using the quick detailer as a lubricant for the clay bar. He uses window cleaner. Like the cheap cans of it that you can get at the dollar store. It works quite well. Usually spary the panel a bit, clay it, and then wipe with a mircofiber. I believe the window cleaner helps to "clean" after the claying. then follow with a sealant or wax of your choice.

Rob @ GGD

Reaction score
I would recommend re-washing your vehicle after the clay treatment. Ultimately, the look, feel, and protection of your vehicle is established by the underlying process of your work prior to the wax or sealant. I always follow every step in the detailing/paint correction process with an IPA wipe down using a quality MF towel then follow up with a quick wash with warm water and a MF wash mitt. I mean seriously, how long does it take you to wash your vehicle? If you already washed it once and it is technically 'clean' then you clay the vehicle to remove all environmental contaminants, then take a few minutes to re-wash it.

I also do not recommend a window cleaner as a clay bar lubricant, ever.

There are zero lubricant properties in a window cleaner and yes, it will eventually impact your vehicles finish. At the minimum, invest in a quality concentrated car wash like Optimum Car Wash and dilute a cap full in a half gallon of water and use this as a clay bar lubricant. You could get 150 clay bar procedures out of a gallon of this stuff or 75 vehicle washes. Not only it is that cheaper than windex and more versatile , it is made to wash/lubricate/clean your vehicle. No brainer if you ask me.

ndavis0001

Davis Motorsports
Reaction score
Don't drop the clay.

love this fast response... kinda if he asked what should i do when i go to jail... well... dont drop it

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

yea, not sure about the glass cleaner, regardless of how expensive or cheap it is... if its a cost thing then buy the cheapest spray detail or mist you can find.

photoryan

Reaction score
Don't use glass cleaner or water for the lubricant. Neither of those have the lubricating properties of detail spray. Plus, water (and I'm sure glass cleaner) will dry the clay out quicker, deeming it useless before it is "filled up" with the contaminants you've removed.

And if you've already washed the truck (which you should have), you don't need to wash again. By using the clay bar, you are removing contaminants, not just pulling them to the surface of the paint.

Calying won't bring back much shine. What claying does is prepares the surface for paint cleaners and polishes to bring back the shine. Claying is important, though, as it removes lots of contaminants that can't be removed by washing and using paint cleaners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlazinMilk