--- Photos: SPOTTER'S THREAD (post up all years/models) ---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We took the kids down to the beach for sunset last Saturday evening.

The adults walked while the 4 kids tried to get in the surf and covered ever crack in the sand.

We made it down to the Port Everglades jetty and watched the cruise ships depart while each ship sounded off its own series of loud blasts on the horn.

Was really cool.

Man, I haven't been on that jetty since high school! But I've been in and out of that channel plenty of times. My dad was lucky and lived in one of those houses for a few years, watched all the preparations for the Cuban Missile Crisis from his backyard!

In the next few months, before #2 ships out for college, I want to take the girls to the beach and watch the sunrise and then run over to the west coast and watch it set the same day.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I haven't been on that jetty since high school! But I've been in and out of that channel plenty of times. My dad was lucky and lived in one of those houses for a few years, watched all the preparations for the Cuban Missile Crisis from his backyard!

In the next few months, before #2 ships out for college, I want to take the girls to the beach and watch the sunrise and then run over to the west coast and watch it set the same day.

@swathdiver
Now the Cuba story is pretty cool. There are some really cool historical photos in the West Marine store showing Port Everglades and the New River as well as one of the Presidents who came here to fish. Can’t recall offhand if it was Roosevelt or maybe Truman?

And the fact that it was a man made access from an existing lake and now is one of the top ports in Florida amongst other notable mentions is pretty cool along with the forts that dotted the New River during he Seminole wars.

This photo, date unknown, is on the New River. A friend’s dad still has an unbelievable house on the New River off Las Olas and has a lot of Seminole Indian artifacts and books.

That’s where I spotted this photo and it caught my attention as the New River is wild. I’m guessing circa 1930s or earlier?

We were there for Winterfest boat parade.

3394659B-FEFC-46CE-B758-15CED2BD902E.jpeg

Wayne Huizenga house.
AEDF3659-959A-43CE-93C2-C737518162B8.jpeg D54B3BC0-DB3A-4A7B-AB52-E30FBA7063C9.jpeg

See here for more Port Everglades facts. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Everglades

A friend did the Alligator Alley sunrise/sunset earlier this year.

My wife has driven over to Ft. Myers just to get the kids this salted caramel ice cream they like so maybe I will throw that idea out there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver
Now the Cuba story is pretty cool. There are some really cool historical photos in the West Marine store showing Port Everglades and the New River as well as one of the Presidents who came here to fish. Can’t recall offhand if it was Roosevelt or maybe Truman?

And the fact that it was a man made access from an existing lake and now is one of the top ports in Florida amongst other notable mentions is pretty cool along with the forts that dotted the New River during he Seminole wars.

This photo, date unknown, is on the New River. A friend’s dad still has an unbelievable house on the New River off Las Olas and has a lot of Seminole Indian artifacts and books.

That’s where I spotted this photo and it caught my attention as the New River is wild. I’m guessing circa 1930s or earlier?

We were there for Winterfest boat parade.

View attachment 214345

Wayne Huizenga house.
View attachment 214346 View attachment 214347

See here for more Port Everglades facts. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Everglades

A friend did the Alligator Alley sunrise/sunset earlier this year.

My wife has driven over to Ft. Myers just to get the kids this salted caramel ice cream they like so maybe I will throw that idea out there.

Good ole Lake Mabel. My great grand-parents owned much of Fort Lauderdale at the turn of the last century. They drank their wealth away and the lawyers stole most of the rest. FDR and Truman both vacationed a lot in Florida. Before I-595 was built, we used to play army on the New River and Pond Apple Swamp, running our little boats on the river and shooting fireworks and bb guns at each other and exploring the abandoned drug running boats out in the swamp. When we weren't doing that, we were in Port Everglades conning our way aboard every Navy ship that tied up for a tour and a meal.

The Port was dredged by '85 to handle larger ships. Prior to this, our big aircraft carriers would anchor offshore and use their launches to ferry the crews and visitors and supplies to shore and back. I was able to experience this on visits to the Saratoga and Nimitz and was supposed to go out to the newly completed Carl Vinson when heavy seas damaged her brow (stern ladder). In '85 I was aboard the tug boats that brought the Kennedy into Port Everglades where she tied up to the pier. Around this time, a boomer (ballistic missile submarine) was docked near Burt and Jacks but on the Coast Guard station side, she submerged to periscope depth went south and turned around and then came back to the pier. I wasn't there for that one but saw the photos on the wall at the Naval Surface Weapons Center at the airport where we were stationed. Up where the convention center is now, a Frigate was doing shallow water torpedo exercises, firing MK46 torpedoes into the water and then recovering them with their motor launch, I was aboard for that. And so much more cool stuff happened.

That photo of with the Seminoles looks like it could have been taken where we live now, up here in Saint Lucie County. We have miles and miles of land that looks just like that.

Ok, back on topic! Saw a cool yellow El Camino yesterday and a 1950s GMC pickup but was too slow to get the camera into action.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good ole Lake Mabel. My great grand-parents owned much of Fort Lauderdale at the turn of the last century. They drank their wealth away and the lawyers stole most of the rest. FDR and Truman both vacationed a lot in Florida. Before I-595 was built, we used to play army on the New River and Pond Apple Swamp, running our little boats on the river and shooting fireworks and bb guns at each other and exploring the abandoned drug running boats out in the swamp. When we weren't doing that, we were in Port Everglades conning our way aboard every Navy ship that tied up for a tour and a meal.

The Port was dredged by '85 to handle larger ships. Prior to this, our big aircraft carriers would anchor offshore and use their launches to ferry the crews and visitors and supplies to shore and back. I was able to experience this on visits to the Saratoga and Nimitz and was supposed to go out to the newly completed Carl Vinson when heavy seas damaged her brow (stern ladder). In '85 I was aboard the tug boats that brought the Kennedy into Port Everglades where she tied up to the pier. Around this time, a boomer (ballistic missile submarine) was docked near Burt and Jacks but on the Coast Guard station side, she submerged to periscope depth went south and turned around and then came back to the pier. I wasn't there for that one but saw the photos on the wall at the Naval Surface Weapons Center at the airport where we were stationed. Up where the convention center is now, a Frigate was doing shallow water torpedo exercises, firing MK46 torpedoes into the water and then recovering them with their motor launch, I was aboard for that. And so much more cool stuff happened.

That photo of with the Seminoles looks like it could have been taken where we live now, up here in Saint Lucie County. We have miles and miles of land that looks just like that.

Ok, back on topic! Saw a cool yellow El Camino yesterday and a 1950s GMC pickup but was too slow to get the camera into action.

Man thx for that history lesson. I love it!!

I will not look at the Port the same when I go through there. Great info!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts