Performance Upgrades for 07 Tahoe 5.3l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I am looking for some performance upgrades for my 07 Tahoe. Its a 5.3l v8, I am looking to get better acceleration mainly, but mpg's is good too.

I am curious to what you all suggest when going for a CAI, exhaust, programmer, etc. I know I should get a bb tune but didn't realize they were in the area until it was too late. What programmer should I get instead?

I had a k&n on my dodge ram and loved it but is there something better? And I just don't have the dough for a corsa, what would you suggest for an exhaust for mid range price? I know i'm asking alot, but after reading and following for a while, you guys are awesome and know your stuff. Thanks for all the help!!

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need to have BB in the area to get a tune. I'm a couple hours from you in Pa and ordered the tune through the internet/via emails with Justin. Do it -- it makes the truck feel very different.

...But get whatever other mods you plan on doing first, since any tune Justin makes for you will be based on those mods already being installed.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some performance upgrades for my 07 Tahoe. Its a 5.3l v8, I am looking to get better acceleration mainly, but mpg's is good too.

I am curious to what you all suggest when going for a CAI, exhaust, programmer, etc. I know I should get a bb tune but didn't realize they were in the area until it was too late. What programmer should I get instead?

I had a k&n on my dodge ram and loved it but is there something better? And I just don't have the dough for a corsa, what would you suggest for an exhaust for mid range price? I know i'm asking alot, but after reading and following for a while, you guys are awesome and know your stuff. Thanks for all the help!!

BB Tune via AutoCal. Look up blackbearperformance.com contacts and email em. 550-ish for everything.

Magnaflow muffler cost me 100$ that's all you need with your stock piping.
Do a resonator delete and get the SLP Tips (cost about 130-50 depending on website you get it from). That's 250 total for a sick set up :Handshake:

Airaid and K&N both make good CAI's but if you want the 'extra pretty' one with a shield cover and have a littttle extra $ to spend, i'd go with the Volant. I went the cheap route and got the Airaid bc they both essentially do the same thing. K&N makes the 63-3058 on Amazon for 220.

550+250+220 = ~1000 well worth spent :Handshake:

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Awesome, a grand was what I was looking to spend for now. You all are so helpful and knowledgeable. I am new to this kind of stuff, but find it very interesting and fun to try myself. Thanks again for all the input and anymore advice is always welcomed. Thanks again everyone!

Also, kmelony, Will I be able to change things after I get the bb done and what if I go to the mechanic and they upgrade the computer stuff?

Last edited:

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These guys have you on the right track. Along with the above mentioned parts you can do headers, underdrive pulley, since it's a '07 you have the 4L60e trans. so you can do the corvette servo and the 4th gear superhold servo(major seat of the pants difference) also look into a higher stall torque converter, transGo HD2 shift enhancer...then step into a Magnuson supercharger. Do not forget to upgrade your braking system too!
As you can see the modding is endless, it's best to map out a plan and budget and stick to it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, kmelony, Will I be able to change things after I get the bb done and what if I go to the mechanic and they upgrade the computer stuff?

The tunes that Justin from BB sends you will be 1) sent via email as tune files, and 2) stored on your computer (as well as in your plug-in scanner). So, anytime the factory flashes your computer, you simply reinstall the tune the same way you did in the first place. It's always available to reinstall.

Also, you'll have a copy of your factory tune, so you could also reinstall IT prior to going to the dealership if you had a reason to.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
To intruckdesign:
OMG brain overload! But that is awesome that you all are soo helpful to a new guy like me. This is my first tahoe and am loving it. Budget seems to be key here as there is a TON of stuff its seems i can do.
Thanks for all the ideas and I will keep everyone posted in the weeks to come.

To kmeloney:
1: So when I get done with all the mods and talk to justin, Does this tune come with a programmer or do i need to buy one separately? If separate, what would you suggest?

2: I bought this vehicle used so how do I get a copy of the original setup of the vehicle? When I plug in the programmer, will it save the original?

3: Thank you sooo much for all your help and knowledge. You all are amazing and this is the reason why I keep getting more interested in fixing and upgrading my tahoe.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To kmeloney:
1: So when I get done with all the mods and talk to justin, Does this tune come with a programmer or do i need to buy one separately? If separate, what would you suggest?

2: I bought this vehicle used so how do I get a copy of the original setup of the vehicle? When I plug in the programmer, will it save the original?

3: Thank you sooo much for all your help and knowledge. You all are amazing and this is the reason why I keep getting more interested in fixing and upgrading my tahoe.

1. You order the programmer through the Blackbear site, as I recall. It's called the EFI Live programmer, I believe. Blackbear makes the tunes to work via this programmer. So, again, you get the programmer first, and then you'll communicate with Justin from there.

2. You've got it. It's a matter of plugging in the programmer and UPLOADING the existing factory tune to it (and then you'll plug it into your PC and upload it there). You'll them email the tune file to Justin, who will use it as a baseline, see the parameters of your truck through the driving profiles, and will make you a tune according to your desires (better acceleration, MPG, etc.).

3. Well, that's nice of you. With each mod you do, you'll then be another expert to share your experiences with others. There's nothing better than a site like this where people are honest about their experiences so that you can compare notes and see which way you might want to go with things.

Good luck!

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Felix, what is a resonator delete and what does it do? I don't really want my exhaust to be loud at all. Also, SLP tips? Is there a way to have my exhaust tips not seen?

I just ordered the blackbear autocal and the magnaflow exhaust muffler 12589. The bb was $549 and the muffler was $107. Gonna order the intake in a few after dinner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
So, found out what a resonator delete does and I think I am going to leave mine on. Just got the bb autocal today and the muffler yesterday, I am waiting on the CAI to arrive and then I will get the ball rollin'.
Soo excited to see how this turns out! I will make sure to post pics of everything. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879