Performance air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chevy is offering a performance air intake cleaner as an option.

What does this do? Cost is not specified.
It’s not the high capacity air filter that comes on the rst

GM still has to sell it in, and comply with CA “CARB”. So you likely get a cute plastic window, a “performance” logo of some sort, but nothing else.
For performance options, you have to plan ahead of time and go aftermarket with items that will “play well together” (i.e. cold air, larger intake, headers, exhaust, 93octane tune, etc). Otherwise, you’re simply opting for a useless kick in the balls. Aftermarket has the advantage of “off-road” use or flat out refusing to sell in CA. They don’t have to worry about selling a mass produced car everywhere.
I’ve lightly modded both my Camaro LS3 and vette LT1. One item such as a cold air intake doesn’t do much without other components. On my Tahoe, all I did was drop in a K&N filter. Not because it does anything other than allow me to hose it off and reuse it. So just for convenience really.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about the only way a factory dealership installed option would void your warranty is if you bought it and installed it yourself. they could come back with you must have installed it wrong. doing your own oil changes or having a non gm garage do them can "void" your warranty. void your warranty isn't really the right word anyway think of it more like if they can tie any kind of failure to something that wasn't done by them.
+1. The word "void" implies that they would cancel your warranty. Doubtful. They more likely would refuse to cover a certain problem under the warranty if they think your acts or omissions acted against the warranty's terms in that instance, but leave future coverage decisions up to the circumstances surrounding those decisions.

It's all there in the fine print. We all signed it and none of us read it.

Like I said before though, if you end up at odds with a car manufacturer over a denied warranty claim, you fight against a much better equipped opponent who is trained and prepared for the fight, whereas you are not. It would cost you orders of magnitude more to defeat a denied warranty claim instance than it would to pay for the repair yourself.

My conclusion has been to wait for the warranty to expire before I consider any kind of performance enhancing modification. That time comes around before you know it, and at that point the whole warranty risk goes away.

Last edited:

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree with what is said here from others, the GM intake WILL in fact void your warranty.

I forget exactly where I read it (trying to find it), but the question came up about the GM Performance Intake, and yes, while being a GM Part, ultimately, it is still considered "tampering" with the Intake System, and having the Engine operate outside of its designed use, and should any problems arise, where the Intake was the cause, it will not be covered.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree with what is said here from others, the GM intake WILL in fact void your warranty.

I forget exactly where I read it (trying to find it), but the question came up about the GM Performance Intake, and yes, while being a GM Part, ultimately, it is still considered "tampering" with the Intake System, and having the Engine operate outside of its designed use, and should any problems arise, where the Intake was the cause, it will not be covered.
I have had a similar conversation with my service manager and was told I would not have any issues with my warranty at his location. He liked the look of my Volant too. I have a lifetime power train warranty on my ride from this dealer as well.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a similar conversation with my service manager and was told I would not have any issues with my warranty at his location. He liked the look of my Volant too. I have a lifetime power train warranty on my ride from this dealer as well.
Warranty coverage decisions don't come from the service manager at a dealership; they come from a dispassionate analyst sitting in a cubicle somewhere else.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
They don't "only make noise". Dyno results have proven time and again that there are HP/Torque gains attained from adding a good (Volant, S&B, AFE) CAI. Maybe only 15-25 hp, but it's something. Adding aftermarket exhaust system or even a better muffler will add to that as well. After that, add a tune and you'll have noticeable gains. I had a proven 2-3 mpg (highway) gain on my 2015 Silverado 6.2, not as much on my 2016 Tahoe. Also, I've never heard of a single owner's warranty being voided for CAI, that said, an aftermarket tune will more often than not void a powertrain warranty.
EngCompartment.jpg

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't "only make noise". Dyno results have proven time and again that there are HP/Torque gains attained from adding a good (Volant, S&B, AFE) CAI.
Generally proven only by the companies selling them. I looked a long time for objective data on both exhaust and intake mods and never found any that pointed to performance gains. Maybe you had more luck.

If increasing performance was as simple as adding a less restrictive intake, and if doing that wouldn't compromise longevity, reliability, or something else, why wouldn't the car manufacturers be doing it?

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
Generally proven only by the companies selling them. I looked a long time for objective data on both exhaust and intake mods and never found any that pointed to performance gains. Maybe you had more luck.

If increasing performance was as simple as adding a less restrictive intake, and if doing that wouldn't compromise longevity, reliability, or something else, why wouldn't the car manufacturers be doing it?

There's dozens of things they can "do better" but choose not to, this is one of them.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's dozens of things they can "do better" but choose not to, this is one of them.
Nah. As hyper-competitive as the domestic truck market is, these companies will do absolutely anything they can do to gain an edge. There are smart people who spend all day every day trying to identify advantages.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am on the fence about CAI's. But, I do feel less restrictive anything is usually better.

The reasons that manufacturers don't do these things are most likely because of federal regulations (specifically emissions). That is also why a simple tuner will open up some more power. They may push to the edge but, cannot cross, an invisible line of power vs mileage vs regulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts