Patching up the 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all, wife's Denali dropped a valve seat. We've had the vehicle for a year, so the model is still new to me, and I'm looking for suggestions on better quality parts; mainly gaskets and head bolts. Saving up for a new engine and trans, so I don't need to go crazy, yet. Thanks.

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will be watching this thread. curious (as i just bought an 09 denali), what year is yours? mileage? symptoms? etc?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason not to stay with the stock GM MLS gaskets and head bolts. Just because something is aftermarket or "different" doesn't mean it's automatically better than stock.

Was there any damage from the dropped seat?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
have you looked into a reman head? you are opening pandoras box and unless you stay focused on ignoring everything "you could/should do" since it will be stairing at you, the cost just keeps adding up. since it is simply a "repair only" for the specific issue id keep it stock and as stated above use factory parts and avoid "hypo" parts entirely. A reman head, a top end gasket set and a one day R&R. If the seat has been moving for awhile inspect the lobe, lifter,tray,pushrod,rocker.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will be watching this thread. curious (as i just bought an 09 denali), what year is yours? mileage? symptoms? etc?
Hi, 14RHS. Mine is an '09 with ~193k miles now. The problem started when we pulled up our driveway to the house. I put the truck into park and noticed a very loud tapping sound. I thought a lifter really crapped the bed, but then the idle got very rough, almost to the point of stalling. Stabilitrak(sp?) and something else lit up on the dash, and the "service engine" light came on. DTC's P0300 and P0303 came up as well.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason not to stay with the stock GM MLS gaskets and head bolts. Just because something is aftermarket or "different" doesn't mean it's automatically better than stock.

Was there any damage from the dropped seat?
Hi, iamdub. Actually, I'm trying to avoid GM's prices is the reason I asked. I don't want to put anymore in this engine than I have to while saving up for a remanufactured engine and trans, but I don't want to put crap parts in that will give me trouble in the meantime. I've found a Fel-Pro head set and timing set that I'm thinking about getting. Fel-Pro was one of the "go to" brands years ago.

Yes, there was some damage. The valve or the seat left a small smiley face in the top of the #3 piston for me. Also learned that this had happened before as there was another smiley face on top of the #7 piston. My mechanic looked things over and thinks the head might be the only significant damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you looked into a reman head? you are opening pandoras box and unless you stay focused on ignoring everything "you could/should do" since it will be stairing at you, the cost just keeps adding up. since it is simply a "repair only" for the specific issue id keep it stock and as stated above use factory parts and avoid "hypo" parts entirely. A reman head, a top end gasket set and a one day R&R. If the seat has been moving for awhile inspect the lobe, lifter,tray,pushrod,rocker.
Hi, thompsoj22. Yes, I bought a reman head from Rock Auto. I didn't want to bother with this head any further since it apparently had dropped another valve seat in the past. I plan on taking care of whatever I can that is reasonably within reach. I'm trying to do enough to get it back on the road reliably without doing a rebuild now (not in the cards at the moment).

My mechanic checked things out and feels that the lifter was able to absorb the valve seat failure. The pushrod wasn't bent, the cam lobe looks okay, etc.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, iamdub. Actually, I'm trying to avoid GM's prices is the reason I asked. I don't want to put anymore in this engine than I have to while saving up for a remanufactured engine and trans, but I don't want to put crap parts in that will give me trouble in the meantime. I've found a Fel-Pro head set and timing set that I'm thinking about getting. Fel-Pro was one of the "go to" brands years ago.

Yes, there was some damage. The valve or the seat left a small smiley face in the top of the #3 piston for me. Also learned that this had happened before as there was another smiley face on top of the #7 piston. My mechanic looked things over and thinks the head might be the only significant damage.

I'm tracking now. I read your post as you just wanting anything other than stock. A lot of people think that ANYTHING not stock is an upgrade.

I get the price-shopping aspect. My go-to is Amazon or eBay and I get what's cheapest out of the major brands. Off the top of my head, for gaskets/seals, I aim for AC Delco, Mahle, Fel-Pro, Mr. Gasket, Victor Reinz...

Other than price, I'd focus more on from what and how the parts are constructed since many are just reboxed parts from other makers.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Settled on Fel-Pro HS26192PT5 head set. Most of the gaskets in the set are made in China, Taiwan, and Vietnam. A whole five are made in the USA. Purchased from Rock Auto; they had the best price. Sourced Fel-Pro head bolts (part #ES72220) from O'Reilly Auto for convenience. These are fully threaded bolts whereas the other kit from Fel-Pro is only threaded 1/2 way up the shank. I don't know the reason for two types, but my mechanic said to get the fully threaded bolts. I also had to get a steam port block since my engine is an early version(?), and those ports at the rear of the engine are plugged. My reman head doesn't have a plug in that port. I found two items for that purpose: one is a plug that looks like a pop rivet, and the other is an actual block that looks like the block for the coolant crossover at the front of the engine, but it has no ports. I opted for the block. Hopefully, my mechanic and I can get the Falcon running this Saturday.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The block with no hole in it is the factory style block-off design. Don't forget the seals for these. The ACDelco seals are hard to find and most, including me, just grab the Dorman 56390 pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st