Parking Brake SNAFU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Tahoe a few years ago, the parking brake didn't work. Guy told me it just needed adjusting. I'm in L.A...relatively flat, but we do like to go to the beach, or up Mullholland...and it would be nice to have the parking brake. (I have wheel chocks in the back, just in case.) I tried the cable adjustment, but the pedal still goes easily to the floor with no resistance.

So I researched everything I could here on the forum, and watched ALL the YouTube videos pertaining to inspecting, adjusting and perhaps replacing the parking brake pads in my 03 Tahoe. Seemed simple enough...until...those two %#*&@$ 18mm bolts that hold the caliper carrier. I tired everything in my power to loosen those bolts...no luck! Soaked them with PB Blaster, brought out the hammer...nope...extra long breaker bar...nope. I even had my socket wrench on there...then added an extra length of pipe for leverage...I actually bent my socket wrench! It feels like they're welded on! I KNOW they must have used some sort of thread locker...but this is absolutely ridiculous! So I just put everything back together and said the hell with it...I guess I just don't have parking brakes.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The install torque spec on the caliper bracket bolts is 148 lb-ft, and lots of folks use blue locktight on them. If the last person in there used red locktight, then heat is going to be necessary. As @tom3 suggested, heat 'em up.

And if adjustment of the shoes doesn't work, there's an adjustment for the pedal mechanism. Otherwise the cables could be stretched.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, or show any disrespect, but you’re sure you’re trying to turn them the correct way, right?

I’ve seen a number of people get things turned around when dealing with bolts facing away from them.

I’ve never had that much of an issue getting caliper bracket bolts off and I deal with a lot of upper Midwest rust on cars I have worked on.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, or show any disrespect, but you’re sure you’re trying to turn them the correct way, right?

I’ve seen a number of people get things turned around when dealing with bolts facing away from them.

I’ve never had that much of an issue getting caliper bracket bolts off and I deal with a lot of upper Midwest rust on cars I have worked on.
LOL! I know what you mean, but I am positive I am trying to turn the bolt the correct way! I have been working on classic cars my entire life, mostly GM and 1968 or before. These days, whatever I need and don't know, I can usually find on the internet. And with videos too!

However, having said that, I have never seen a bolt so tight that I couldn't break it loose...or break it OFF...with my hammer or my custom-made breaker bar! (a re-purposed hydraulic jack handle) attached to a well-fitting socket! (I'm 6'5", about 235, and strong as an ox they tell me.) And I have a cordless, electric impact wrench, as well as my compressor-driven impact driver.
Nothing in my arsenal would budge those stubborn bolts!

I've never used a torch to apply heat (which probably explains the afore-mentioned broken bolts! LOL!)
I guess I'll have to try a flame thrower! LOL!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! I know what you mean, but I am positive I am trying to turn the bolt the correct way! I have been working on classic cars my entire life, mostly GM and 1968 or before. These days, whatever I need and don't know, I can usually find on the internet. And with videos too!

However, having said that, I have never seen a bolt so tight that I couldn't break it loose...or break it OFF...with my hammer or my custom-made breaker bar! (a re-purposed hydraulic jack handle) attached to a well-fitting socket! (I'm 6'5", about 235, and strong as an ox they tell me.) And I have a cordless, electric impact wrench, as well as my compressor-driven impact driver.
Nothing in my arsenal would budge those stubborn bolts!

I've never used a torch to apply heat (which probably explains the afore-mentioned broken bolts! LOL!)
I guess I'll have to try a flame thrower! LOL!
im one of them lanks too, 6'6 265 ish, ive busted 1/2 inch breaker bars torn through the pipes on the ratchets and breaker bars i was using on this damn bolt. broke a 1/2 drive ratchet too on this bolt. bought one of them harbor freight earthquake 1000 lb tq air guns. that took it off like butter with 120 psi max compressor. i was amazed. normally if im able to pull on a bolt with my feet braced up im gonna win lol

if you go heat, you want to heat up around the bolt's threads, and not the bolt so much, idea is the heat expands the metal, then the bolt is able to come out.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And not too much heat or kiss the axle seal goodbye.

JGM70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Don't think it's a stupid question. I'm 74 and still do brakes for 3 vehicles. Work on them
when I have to. But learned to take a ratchet and the socket, and ito check which way
I should be going. Caught myself last winter in a cold garage going the wrong way, Right
before the torch, I checked and was going the wrong way. Keep trucking !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts