Parking Brake Cables Replacement???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are replacing all the cables and the actuator, do you think the design matters?
I need the Control Module and Intermeadiate ones only, and don't need to have "fuel pump stuff" sent, just in case the part number actually matches the fuel pump parts and the error in in the cross reference from the cable search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It's been an education.
I'm going to give 20970875 and 15183623 a shot for what I need based on several matching searches related to the VIN.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got them in; front and intermediate cables.

The front cable wasn't available without buying the entire (oem by choice) pedal assembly. It might have been because there is a spring and ratcheting assembly inside it to deal with if tampered with. That spring assembly on the new pedal had a locking pin, once removed after reassembly, caused the slack to be taken out of the cable system. Fingers were crossed because there was plenty of cable slack after the installation. Glad it was self adjusting.

Overall 4 bolts, 2 hours. Had to remove a bit of tupperware cabin trim, an electrical junction block and deal with blind fasteners to get the old pedal assembly out. Lots of wires in the area to avoid damaging.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got them in; front and intermediate cables.

The front cable wasn't available without buying the entire (oem by choice) pedal assembly. It might have been because there is a spring and ratcheting assembly inside it to deal with if tampered with. That spring assembly on the new pedal had a locking pin, once removed after reassembly, caused the slack to be taken out of the cable system. Fingers were crossed because there was plenty of cable slack after the installation. Glad it was self adjusting.

Overall 4 bolts, 2 hours. Had to remove a bit of tupperware cabin trim, an electrical junction block and deal with blind fasteners to get the old pedal assembly out. Lots of wires in the area to avoid damaging.
Where are the pictures? How far does the pedal move now before it engages?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the pictures? How far does the pedal move now before it engages?
No pictures. I was trying to beat the clock on sundown and it was one of those times when 90% done I and thinking "was that wire bundle in front of or behind the brake cable?" Switched it around and damn it was better in the first place so back around it went.

There is a UTube video on parts of someone else's repair but unfortunately he skipped over the difficulties so it is only partly helpful.

To answer your question, when first tried the pedal went to the floor.
The second time the brakes grabbed hard half way down so apparently the ratcheting mechanism self-adjusted.
All other tests are the same as the second.
Checking the cables when not engaged and they are just tight enough to avoid drooping and no noticible brake drag.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz