Looking to Buy New Battery Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
Finally back in town to put a new battery in the wife's 2018 Yukon XL Denali. Was thinking it might be a good idea to replace the cables while I'm at it. It is my understanding the negative cable can cause weird electrical gremlins as it degrades. I looked on GM Parts Direct and can't figure out which cables I need. Before I walk into the dealership and try to sort it out with the counter jockey, does anyone know the part numbers I need? Thanks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The listing for yours is here (first and last items shown). Enter your VIN and search if it's not what you think it should be; Rock Auto lists one for the dual battery setup. 4wd was the same for cables:

1710706549870.png

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Finally back in town to put a new battery in the wife's 2018 Yukon XL Denali. Was thinking it might be a good idea to replace the cables while I'm at it. It is my understanding the negative cable can cause weird electrical gremlins as it degrades. I looked on GM Parts Direct and can't figure out which cables I need. Before I walk into the dealership and try to sort it out with the counter jockey, does anyone know the part numbers I need? Thanks.
If you are going in for new cables I would suggest doing the big 3 upgrade which is where you swap your battery cables and ground out for 1/0guage wire as the factory cables are kinda skimpy and wire isn’t all that good when you can get nice oxygen free copper wire yit’s a pretty simple swap
They sell kits online but if your in a rush you could run down to the auto parts store or audio shop and get the cable and ends some places will actually cut and crimp/heat shrink for you if you go give them measurements of what you need. I had mine done to a marine/boat store

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
Thanks for the link with the correct cables Fless. I just ordered them from Rock Auto for a couple dollars cheaper than the link you provided. They will be here Friday and I will see how joyous it is to swap them out this upcoming weekend.

Trey, this is my wife's daily. I have no intention of modifying the vehicle, prefer to retain OEM parts when possible. Just want to keep it well maintained and do preventative work to keep it reliable. I have done the 'big 3' upgrade on my old Camaro and Jeep to support additional electrical loads.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link with the correct cables Fless. I just ordered them from Rock Auto for a couple dollars cheaper than the link you provided. They will be here Friday and I will see how joyous it is to swap them out this upcoming weekend.

Trey, this is my wife's daily. I have no intention of modifying the vehicle, prefer to retain OEM parts when possible. Just want to keep it well maintained and do preventative work to keep it reliable. I have done the 'big 3' upgrade on my old Camaro and Jeep to support additional electrical loads.
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Years back, I lowered my wife's car without her knowledge. When she went out to get into her car to go to work, she damn near fell out of the car and onto the drive way. She was FURIOUS! After that, she leased cars, knowing that I would not be able to mod them. 6 months ago, she bought out her car lease and she specifically told me NOT to touch anything on her car. (Why do women have such great memories?)

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
LOL! I would never mod her car without her knowing. She is SO particular about her vehicle. I just bought 2022 Sierra wheels for it last night. We talked about it and looked at various OEM wheels (neither of us like aftermarket wheels for a daily) for MONTHS.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto sells all the OEM cables last I checked. You also need the short positive cable that connects the battery to the distribution center. That one often has more voltage drop than the negative cable but you should definitely replace both as they are both very problematic.

Bagherra

Reaction score
Might have to add battery cable replacement to my list of stuff to do....

Whats a quick way to tell if the cables themselves are going bad?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a voltage drop test while cranking after driving the truck and getting it hot. The negative cable spec is 200mv and the short positive is 50mv.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
Rock Auto sells all the OEM cables last I checked. You also need the short positive cable that connects the battery to the distribution center. That one often has more voltage drop than the negative cable but you should definitely replace both as they are both very problematic.
Rock Auto has a 'Standard' brand short positive cable. Does anyone have a source for the OEM cable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts