Pairing New Key Set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! Anyone got any tips on pairing a new set of keys to my 2019 Tahoe LT?
It’s not push to start. Has the key separate of the fob.
Bought it Certified Pre-Owned but the dealer only gave me one key set. (Lame)
So I bought a fob and blank key from carandtruckremotes and had the key laser cut.
Opens the door now but triggers the theft deterrent system when I try to start the car. Also the fob doesn’t work yet to unlock/lock obviously.
All the guides I try to follow online don’t seem to work. Do I have to take it to the dealer and pay them $85 to pair it..?

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, you have to have two previously programmed keys to be able to program more.

Check your local mom-and-pop locksmiths for programming if needed. Usually much better/faster service, not to mention cheaper. I just had an extra remote (entry/keyless push-button start) programmed for my 2011 Infiniti G37 at a shop I've used for many years. Cost me 60-some bucks with them also cutting the emergency key for door. About 100 bucks less than dealer.

OP
OP
Jeff_

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, you have to have two previously programmed keys to be able to program more.

Check your local mom-and-pop locksmiths for programming if needed. Usually much better/faster service, not to mention cheaper. I just had an extra remote (entry/keyless push-button start) programmed for my 2011 Infiniti G37 at a shop I've used for many years. Cost me 60-some bucks with them also cutting the emergency key for door. About 100 bucks less than dealer.
That's good to know. Since I have only 1 key, I guess that limits my options.
I appreciate the advice. I'll either go to the stealership for $85 or try the locksmith that cut the key if it's much cheaper.

OP
OP
Jeff_

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealership because they could squeeze me in on my lunch break. $85 later and it's good to go.
So:
$50 for the fob and blank from carandtruckremotes.
$45 for the blank key to be cut by a locksmith
$85 for the stealership to program it.
All in $180 for the extra key set. Expensive little thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts