Painting your Grille, how do they hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukonboy03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am debating on replacing the plastic "chrome" grille on my Yukon with either a paintable one, to match it, or a new chrome one. If painted ones do well with chips and all, I would prefer to go that route. Anyone with personal experience, please chime in

thanks,
John

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
here's my process that has worked so far with no chips and flakes what so ever

take a sander and just start sanding away at the chrome
you aren't necessarily sanding off the chrome as you are making the surface smooth
get some grease and tar remover and spray it all over the grille and let it drip off.. it evaporates so there is no need to wipe it and risk getting dirt on the grille

now take a can of Bulldog Adhesion Promotor and spray the grille, do a light coat first then wait about 15 minutes and come back and do a heavier coat

after the second coat has time to tack up get a can of self-etching primer and spray that
this is the most important step to getting the paint to stick so do as many coats as you feel necessary

it also is a good base because it will fill any imperfections you may have on your grille

then after that dries get some ordinary automotive primer and spray that down as this will be the base for your paint to stick to

then grab your body color (I prefer the clear coat to be mixed in with the body color just so I can skip a step) and start spraying

there is my grille before and after
IMG_8620.jpg

only problem is the body color turned out a little bit darker because I have 7 year old paint
IMG_9013.jpg

I just need to do my bumper next.. the tricky part will be the textured plastic

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
kasey, just the person i was looking for, i am in the process of painting my grill right now so this thread is perfect, but i have the same rims as you and i am painting them too is it similar process? also is the bumper the same as grill?

john i will be taking pics and letting you know how it turns out

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kasey, in that pic looks like your bumper is painted, the textured? is it? Ive got everything painted, except the lower valance, friend that owns body shop, said he wont paint my valnace??? said it will just chip and look bad and leave it gray, but it stands out to much now being all black... Ive seen many threads about painting it yourself. I dont mind the textured, think it might help deflect chips, but whats a good process for doing that? or anyone thats done it.

Sorry op, dont mean to hi jack.... maybe this will help also.. idk

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a go and see how you like it! I did mine, no where near as good kasey, in red. Not sure if I like it so when I get around to it I am doing it how Kasey did. Probably in black

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
ya sorry,i didn't mean to jack either, i think kasey's process should work on the textured part aswell though, im lucky being spirral grey i dont think mine will stick out as much
its my rims i am worried about chipping on

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
the way I am going to try the textured paint is an experiment so if you want me to be a guinea pig wait for me to do it

first I'll start by stripping all the cheap ass rattle can paint off then I will lightly sand the plastic
the trick is to not sand too much and get it smooth just with sanding because then the plastic will become to thin and its really easy to sand more in one area so it won't look good

just make sure to sand evenly

next, and I forgot to add in my last post, I think the most important step that I used to always over look is cleaning the surface
my paint supply shop carries grease and tar remover in a bottle and I just poured it in a spray bottle so it was easier than using with a towel

use it heavily, if you just lightly spray it on the dirt will just sit on the surface, if you spray a lot then the dirt will drip off as the tar remover does

next after it dries/evaporates I'll put the adhesion promotor on
then after that I'm going to try filler primer which will be the key in getting it smooth

a couple light coats then let it dry for a while
wet sand with 1000-2000 to get a smoother look

then some heavier coats to fill in any imperfections then wet sand again after it dries

after that regular automotive primer and the base coat then clear coat

I'm thinking that process will work the best because from experience if you just start spraying the plastic it WILL chip and it will show the textured plastic underneath

now the bumper.. it should be the same process as the grille just sand it down with a high grit to get it smooth.. and also I forgot to add, like I said you aren't sanding the chrome off but you are dulling it so that the surface is blemished so the paint can stick

around next week some time I'll be getting a nice little check and I'll go pick up some more paint so my front end can finally be painted legit

I remember when I first painted my grill in body color I wondered why I waited so long to do it because it looks SO much better!!

found some better pictures
IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8978.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg
and yes I know the turn signals look like shit in those pictures but they got cleaned up real nice ;)

Danny_c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Kasey,

I am in the process of painting my front bumper and lower valance as well. The bumper i am going to be painting came off a Z71 tahoe the the bumper cap is already painted for me. It seems like both of us are going to be using the same process (layers and layers of high build primer). What kind of primer are you using? I am going to be using the Omni mpm 828? I should start on it this weekend. Will post try to post pics of the step by step process. The bad thing is that both of my guns are equipped with small tips (1.4 and 1.3). So im hoping i can get a 1.8 tip by the end of the week or my project will be cancelled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv