Painted Tow Hooks 2013 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend project: Paint the Tow Hooks !

2013 Tahoe, when new my Tahoe did not have tow hooks. I purchased some ‘take offs’ on the internet and installed them. I don’t know why I did not think about painting them then, but whatever. Fast forward, I decided that its time to paint them. I also took the eye cap off to clean. After 130,000 plus miles, I needed to clean the entire area. I just used a rattle-can to paint the hooks. I did clean and use 800 grit sand paper and finish cleaning with alcohol before painting. I know powder coating would have been the ultimate, but hay, I had the paint already. I let the painted hooks dry for a day and a half before reinstalling. I am pleased with the results.

2013 Tahoe tow hook plate.jpg2013 Tahoe paint for Tow Hooks.jpg2013 Tahoe Tow Hook passenger side reinstalled.jpg2013 Tahoe Tow Hooks painted red.jpg

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I wonder how well that paint will hold up if you actually have to use them with tow straps.

Good point, I thought about that and that is where Powder Coating would be better or chrome if you were into 'bling' (not me). But hopefully I never have to put a tow strap on my baby, ha ! I will cross that bridge whenever .

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend project: Paint the Tow Hooks !

2013 Tahoe, when new my Tahoe did not have tow hooks. I purchased some ‘take offs’ on the internet and installed them. I don’t know why I did not think about painting them then, but whatever. Fast forward, I decided that its time to paint them. I also took the eye cap off to clean. After 130,000 plus miles, I needed to clean the entire area. I just used a rattle-can to paint the hooks. I did clean and use 800 grit sand paper and finish cleaning with alcohol before painting. I know powder coating would have been the ultimate, but hay, I had the paint already. I let the painted hooks dry for a day and a half before reinstalling. I am pleased with the results.

View attachment 354104View attachment 354102View attachment 354103View attachment 354105
10 more horsepower!

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered this bitchin trailer hitch, and wanted to paint it to match my tow hooks. Do you think I should powder coat it because it will get more use and abuse than the tow hooks. What say you? Ha.

Attachments

• The Hook.jpg
    The Hook.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered this bitchin trailer hitch, and wanted to paint it to match my tow hooks. Do you think I should powder coat it because it will get more use and abuse than the tow hooks. What say you? Ha.
Between the front hooks (painted of course) and this hook, you should expect at least 25hp and 40lbs of torque. No need for a BB tune, EVER! :laughing1:

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the front hooks (painted of course) and this hook, you should expect at least 25hp and 40lbs of torque. No need for a BB tune, EVER! :laughing1:
I heard that !
Plus with all that extra weight in the rear and torque available, I will be able to lift the front pretty high when I launch off the line, don't you think?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Been thinking about doing that myself. Red is a nice little accent.

I'll be "that guy." We're not using our front tow hooks to extract other vehicles, right? Never pull in reverse; that's a good way to kill your transmission. Front tow hooks are only to extract YOUR vehicle. Use a rear receiver hitch/hook/shackle to extract others.

Just a few weeks ago I used a receiver shackle in my Suburban to pull a Freightliner out of a ditch. Yes, a class 8 truck. Cab only, no trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn