Paint Prep / Body Work Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Worked for several more hours. I have to finish color sanding the hood, driver door, and rear hatch (didn't like how it turned out on hatch so redoing). Couldn't help but snap a couple pictures though. It's starting to look REALLY awesome, until you get close and see my paint runs (can never completely sand them out).

I plan on putting a scratch resistant ceramic coating or sorts after I'm done. Then go off road hahaha I bought truck for off road now looks too nice.

NOTE: I'm waiting on plastic rivets to arrive from Amazon. They're a month out :| Then I can attach my front fender flare. I found attaching those works best if you use a combination of 3M emblem glue and plastic molding tape. Use the tape to hold it up, then the glue to get a good even sticky.

View attachment 244474 View attachment 244475
Looks great! Looks like a completely different rig. How's the interior coming along?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Looks like a completely different rig. How's the interior coming along?
Bit behind on interior. I am waiting for parts from amazon which are on backorder due to virus. Have to run a cable to power the lightbar too. lightbar will be at front of roof rack, but I have got a creative idea to run power up there. Might have to cut a small hole for the power [emoji33]

Hood needs further buffing. I ran out of daylight to see what I was doing.d976a3c88bce93309d23b47f4af405e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Bit behind on interior. I am waiting for parts from amazon which are on backorder due to virus. Have to run a cable to power the lightbar too. lightbar will be at front of roof rack, but I have got a creative idea to run power up there. Might have to cut a small hole for the power [emoji33]

Hood needs further buffing. I ran out of daylight to see what I was doing.d976a3c88bce93309d23b47f4af405e8.jpg

Imo, interior is the easiest to do--if you're keeping it stock.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, interior is the easiest to do--if you're keeping it stock.
I want to modify the wiring harness ever so slightly. other than that all stock :)

looking to integrate an ac inverter, looking for trans temp gauge, controls for light bar on roof rack, possibly run stuff for CB radio, and build a bluetooth module into stock stereo setup likely in place of tape deck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slooooooooowly working away yet on the color sanding haha... I've pretty well finished whole truck (minus roof and driver door - no defects) with rubbing compound. I now have a mild rubbing compound I'm working out any extra sanding scratches / hazy paint with. After that I have a swirl remover compound and DA I borrowed. I got the passenger side of the truck finished. The hood pretty well done minus a couple touch ups, that crease along side of hood is a b##%@ to polish haha.

I'm going to order a good ceramic sealer and do it as I finish up. Here's a summary of process I'm on now:

- Sanding and rubbing compound complete, on fine scratch removal.

1. Clean work area with dawn dish soap, clay bar, then windex and microfiber towel.

2. Using a wool pad and rotary buffer apply Miguiars So1o 86 cut & polish. I thought this stuff was junk until I tried it will a wool pad. It works magic to fix little areas that didn't quite compound out.

3. Using a cotton cloth I clean the old polish off.

4. Switch to DA polisher with Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing polish. This stuff seems to clean up any issues but I still see light scratching afterwards.

Before I do ceramic sealer I'm going to go over those panels again with 3M Machine polish. I was lucky enough to get some on sale, a quart almost for $10.

I think I can finally call the project finished after all this is done :) It's pretty quick going. I got steps 1 to 4 done on about half the truck this evening.

Pictures don't do it justice. Camera doesn't really pickup the polish work. However, the hue / darkness of the black has enriched greatly. Everything on this side in photo has been polished with DA :) Especially anxious to finish front fender so I can put on the fender flare. I should have waited to do all the polishing before putting on the others.

What's a good quality, affordable ceramic sealer to put on?

A6407489.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Slooooooooowly working away yet on the color sanding haha... I've pretty well finished whole truck (minus roof and driver door - no defects) with rubbing compound. I now have a mild rubbing compound I'm working out any extra sanding scratches / hazy paint with. After that I have a swirl remover compound and DA I borrowed. I got the passenger side of the truck finished. The hood pretty well done minus a couple touch ups, that crease along side of hood is a b##%@ to polish haha.

I'm going to order a good ceramic sealer and do it as I finish up. Here's a summary of process I'm on now:

- Sanding and rubbing compound complete, on fine scratch removal.

1. Clean work area with dawn dish soap, clay bar, then windex and microfiber towel.

2. Using a wool pad and rotary buffer apply Miguiars So1o 86 cut & polish. I thought this stuff was junk until I tried it will a wool pad. It works magic to fix little areas that didn't quite compound out.

3. Using a cotton cloth I clean the old polish off.

4. Switch to DA polisher with Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing polish. This stuff seems to clean up any issues but I still see light scratching afterwards.

Before I do ceramic sealer I'm going to go over those panels again with 3M Machine polish. I was lucky enough to get some on sale, a quart almost for $10.

I think I can finally call the project finished after all this is done :) It's pretty quick going. I got steps 1 to 4 done on about half the truck this evening.

Pictures don't do it justice. Camera doesn't really pickup the polish work. However, the hue / darkness of the black has enriched greatly. Everything on this side in photo has been polished with DA :) Especially anxious to finish front fender so I can put on the fender flare. I should have waited to do all the polishing before putting on the others.

What's a good quality, affordable ceramic sealer to put on?

View attachment 249673
What a difference. Looks great. Nice work :waytogo:!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a ceramic coating kit off Amazon today with a few more clay bars. Finishing up final polishing / swirl remover. It's giving me a whole new level of shine. I now cannot distinguish the hue from that of the door I did no corrections on. Actually those that have the corrections are even higher mirror finish now. Here's a picture showing finished rear passenger door next to undone rear quarter panel.

20200610_183622.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have half the truck left to final polish, however the other half i did a ceramic seal on (hood, front fenders and passenger side). Using color n drive kit. pretty easy to apply. makes it MUCH glossier.1c10cdfa0e482c5c45d372d956e93526.jpg64717429a14373e777e88c9616a64272.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157