Paint Prep / Body Work Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got paint and clear on the whole truck minus the door from before. Have the truck bed liner / second color to do tomorrow. That door I put on too thin so has to be stripped and resprayed :/

The truck looks absolutely sick. Light orange peal, but LOTS of runs :( My trouble was I was spraying black in my dark garage. When I could see the panel I did alright. I think the pressure may have been a little high on my gun too as I got TONS of overspray. But it mostly worked.

I have a ton of work cut out for me in the color sanding step. But with luck it'll look like new or maybe better than new when I'm done.

20200204_105406.jpg 20200204_105419.jpg 20200204_105309.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered tow mirrors today. my second set... first set were amazon cheapo special and fit bad. ordered ksource... my cousin had them and said they fit like a glove.

then hope to put on a curved lightbar but secure it to beafy z71 luggage rack.

then possibly new headlamp lenses although i kind of like the stock looking lenses.

hopefully i can stop killing my bank account with truck bling then lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pic of current progress... Short a few things but put on the raptor liner this afternoon. That stuff is SUPER easy to work with. Really cool product. Only wish it was a tinge lighter color and a matte finish. Is more of a gloss. I also should have made my front hood strip of raptor liner larger. It's a bit small. I decided to do tip of hood with raptor liner to keep from getting so many rock chips. I also should have rapped that strip onto the front quarter panels (may still do that but at a later date). The scratches you see are me cutting the paint runs off before color sanding.

I have tow mirrors on the way. Arriving tomorrow.
Then I have to find the clips to install the fender flares. I seem to have lost them :(
Paint the driver side door yet (I messed up so have to redo the clear on it).
Color sand / fix my defects.
Lastly roof rack but no rush on that :)

a.jpg b.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pic of current progress... Short a few things but put on the raptor liner this afternoon. That stuff is SUPER easy to work with. Really cool product. Only wish it was a tinge lighter color and a matte finish. Is more of a gloss. I also should have made my front hood strip of raptor liner larger. It's a bit small. I decided to do tip of hood with raptor liner to keep from getting so many rock chips. I also should have rapped that strip onto the front quarter panels (may still do that but at a later date). The scratches you see are me cutting the paint runs off before color sanding.

I have tow mirrors on the way. Arriving tomorrow.
Then I have to find the clips to install the fender flares. I seem to have lost them :(
Paint the driver side door yet (I messed up so have to redo the clear on it).
Color sand / fix my defects.
Lastly roof rack but no rush on that :)

View attachment 240227 View attachment 240228
Wow man that’s just awesome! Great job!! I can’t wait to see her all done!! Way to go!!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I cannot resist. I'm now shopping more seriously for headlamp and turn signal lenses. I saw this truck on a youtube group and LOVE the look of those lenses!

I'd like the halo setup. Am looking at DEPO amazon ones. Additionally, I'd like whatever I get to be black / smoked black look so blends in with my paint job. I know a lot of people buy the depot lenses but I'd like to see pics of what this stuff looks like on a black truck lol

84111557_3530550196986052_1291903510979280896_n.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** there goes another $150. i will post pics wednesday. ordered new halo headlamps and smoked turn lenses lol

short the lightbar and roof rack to complete my look... you just like another several hundred bucks lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest work, hopefully finished spraying paint by end of day lol I had to come back and re-do the door I practiced on.

Video of work and latest mistakes lol
Very nice! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, and learning experience with this project! This is invaluable! Looking great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN